RE: Position Paper for W3C Workshop on Identity

From: peter williams <home_pw@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 07:03:35 -0700
To: "'Dominik Tomaszuk'" <ddooss@wp.pl>, "'Henry Story'" <henry.story@bblfish.net>
CC: "'Alexandre Passant'" <alexandre.passant@deri.org>, "'WebID XG'" <public-xg-webid@w3.org>, "'Jeff Sayre'" <jeff@sayremedia.com>, "'Kingsley Idehen'" <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Ideally, we would demonstrate the use of *linking* the security services and
any attached commentary (in RDFa), rather than embedding the security
triples in the XHTML.

In the older cert/PKCS7 world AND the W3C xmldsig world with whom we compete
for attention, their signed blobs can add information *about* third party
documents. It's the so-called "detached" signature - that typically signs
typed information - also included in the detached blob. This all references
the document **about which** the third-party signing/trust/integrity service
is making claims, as described. The extended-reference typically includes an
integrity check of some sort (typically, just a hash of some content
transfer encoding of the "document").

For now, some use of the semweb wot signatures should do, being a detached
signature in essence. Then, we have shown how we expect the wot type
services *for documents* and webid (for *sites*) to cooperate. That wot
vocab today requires a pgp signing process is largely irrelevant...being
little more than a way of using a tool to invoke the RSA math. What matters
is the foaf card and the wot vocab, not the pgp'ness.