Re: Position Paper for W3C Workshop on Identity

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 08:18:20 -0400
To: Mo McRoberts <Mo.McRoberts@bbc.co.uk>
CC: public-xg-webid@w3.org
On 4/24/11 4:00 AM, Mo McRoberts wrote:
> ing e-mail clients not to treat S/MIME signed or encrypted e-mail using certificates from authorities they don't recognise (including, of course, self-signed certs) as “untrusted” rather than “INVALID” wouldn't be a bad thing… I appreciate, of course, that it's a can of worms.
>
> (But, given that practically every e-mail client on the planet understands S/MIME, there's a big surface-area there for use of WebID beyond web authentication — why*shouldn't*  I be able to use my WebID certificate to sign e-mail messages, after all?)

We already have S/MIME + WebID, it just works. We have a mail package in
ODS that allows you to even enhance our filters using WebID. The final
mile simply boils down to tweaking the 3 main email apps: Thunderbird,
Apple Mail, and OutLook. Of course I am all ears re. anyone interested
in extending any of these mail apps.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com