Re: Position Paper for W3C Workshop on Identity

On 24 Apr 2011, at 10:00, Mo McRoberts wrote:

>> is just
>>
>> Removing 'just' from my sentence would not make any sense. The point is
>> that WebID has a practical role beyond the Web (big W). The Internet is
>> bigger than the Web platform. Non-webby protocols can harness the power of
>> WebID.
>
> In particular, encouraging e-mail clients not to treat S/MIME signed or encrypted e-mail using certificates from authorities they don't recognise (including, of course, self-signed certs) as “untrusted” rather than “INVALID” wouldn't be a bad thing… I appreciate, of course, that it's a can of worms.
>
> (But, given that practically every e-mail client on the planet understands S/MIME, there's a big surface-area there for use of WebID beyond web authentication — why *shouldn't* I be able to use my WebID certificate to sign e-mail messages, after all?)

Yep that would be a very useful application of WebID.

Of course as with many things that will become absolutely obvious (one would hope) as soon as there are a  large number of WebIDs out there, that are in everyday use.

One could add that here:
   http://www.w3.org/wiki/Foaf%2Bssl/UseCases
  or here
   http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Use_Cases_and_Requirements