RE: wikileaks certs, ICANN, DNS, and DANE. using ldap to parallel a DANE zone

I don't know why you (and I say you, as I don't know anyone else who argues
for it) ties the brand of webid to DANE. Perhaps there are meetings I don't
know about? One should be aware of lots of political history here, as the
telcos in the ENUM space vie for the same power - using DNS more
intelligently for key management than simple signed RRs. One might want to
understand ENUM, and the issue of private ENUM (the ability to run a walled
garden DNS cache, walled off to assure it against poisoning). Comodo looks
like a fun little company, but is not the heavy weight in the space.

Now, I understand the general motive: for a public identifier space, you
want/need the authority field of the URI to be assured, as that underpins
the denotational semantics of the class resolver (given a class name in the
foaf card), and the de-referencing of the resource identifiers to and from
the foaf card. If the endpoint providing the proof of identifier control can
be spoofed, webid is useless. If the resource server uses a cache of triples
for the evidence binding the key to the identifier that is untrusted (or
poisoned), webid is useless. (For useless, perhaps read "unassured",
professionally.) These issues don't get any discussion in the paper (aside
from implying the underlying issues with authority, by reference to DANE).

Without giving the game away, state the assurance limits - as assumptions.
Imply that there is a parallel assurance argument, in addition to the
functional benefits based on the protocol.

For commodity systems, for low cost, folks will accept quite low assurance
(think real estate) assuming that compensating control system apply to make
up for lack of assurance in information systems (think real estate, where
one *insures* against error in the title record, uses credit reference to
uderping the financial note, and one bases public trust on the notary's
personal identifications.and affadavits). What most matters is resilience,
that is. If the entire MLS web system in the US went down for a week there
would be a lot of whining (before the manual system kicks back in, as
designed, and the trillion dollar cash flow .keeps flowing!). We didn't
allow that economy/flow to become dependent on IT, the internet, or "being
online"- by design. When you are running a system critical to a trillion
dollar cash flow, you *have* to focus as a security engineer on the
assurances - dependencies, resilience, survivability.

If we can speak a little to these topics, it will be say something to that
crowd of American identity types (who are probably pre-selected to get them
onboard with the US national id program, which will coordinate such
assurance topics).