Re: ftp scheme

Henry Story wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2011, at 16:44, peter williams wrote:
>
>> Forgive me, I will not be attending any Berlin meeting. And Im not writing
>> anything for the US one - since it will be auto-rejected based on the name
>> of the author, alone. My positions on user-centric identity are generally
>> not welcome, in those circles.
>>
>> I'm happy with ftps (since it's an interesting two channel problem, and
>> doesn't have redirect or cookie issues). What matters to me is demonstrating
>> that we don't repeat history. If that means looking for theme #51, and then
>> #52 then I will do so (for what matters is shaping the general form of the
>> movement, for mass adoption that makes those who do muti-year platform
>> engineering believing that the movement has built in "sustainability"). If
>> we don't want suggestion #53, lets do what we said - and show ftps, as a non
>> http scheme.
>
> I am happy with ftp and ftps schemes because they are easy to implement with what we have now.
> (Ie: It does not mean implementing new parsers, redirect schemes, transforms, as webfinger would for example)
>
> As you say ftp urls lack content negotiation, which means of course a small but interesting problem. The receiver will have to do content inspection just for that to guess what the format is.

[snip]

Okay, sorry in advance, but why? I'd really encourage everybody to
seriously not waste there time on this, unless ofcourse you want people
to webid auth via FTP to upload some files (rather than have an ftp://
scheme webid). This is just doing things for the sake of it, to prove
some point that /really/ doesn't need made.

Most people use HTTP and HTTP+TLS, if we want to push further than that,
then the next stops are things people actually use daily, like
webfinger, using *+ssh, scp, wss (secure websockets), perhaps some
torrent/p2p work, looking at oauth2 flows or integration and so forth on
the transfer/transport protocol side.

On the other side then looking at microformats, json, and things like
activity streams, poco, salmon and so forth would be useful.

But really, ftps:// webid's? come on now.

Best,

Nathan