Re: self-signed

On 4/18/11 5:07 PM, Mo McRoberts wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2011, at 21:52, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
> >> A good idea, but let's speak numbers.
> >>
> >> How many certs with e-mail addresess as you published are there really?
> >> Of those how many are client certs? How many of those have mailto
> uris that are backed by webfinger?
> >
> > Please re-read the sentences above.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with Webfinger bar the fact that it solves
> the bigger issue of making a "mailto:" scheme URI a de-referencable
> URI. That's it.
>
> Let's phrase it another way:
>
> How many certificates which are potentially WebID certs (that is, have
> some kind of identifier which COULD be resolved if the server knew
> how) are actually out there?
>
> We already know SSL client certificates pretty much failed. It doesn't
> matter how many GMail e-mail addresses are out there if they don't
> already have certificates, because brand new certs which conform in
> whatever way the WebID coin lands can be generated.
>
> I can't help but wonder if there is some cross-purpose arguing going on.

Yes.

> You're saying "WebID should support more than just http URIs"

It shouldn't be scheme specific in any shape or form.

> Peter, on the other hand, is saying "WebID should work with X.509v1
> certificates, ignore critical extension, basically work with whatever
> certificates are *already out there* [even though we know that none of
> them are actually WebID certs!]"
>
> Henry's saying "WebID should be built on X.509v3 with the URI in the
> SAN [or possibly IAN?], but for the moment let's focus on HTTP[s] URIs
> in building the testsuite, then move onto other schemes"

Yes, but Henry assumes that when I make a comment about WebID and scheme
agnosticism I am also making a call for implementation protraction.
Whereas I am simply saying: do not encourage breaking the core concept
under the subjective use of the "simple" escape. Just have developers
understand that :

1. WebID is scheme agnostic
2. When you implement something that isn't scheme agnostic, say so in a
clear way via: UI and/or error messages. Worst case say: I don't
understand this scheme or I can't discern a comprehensible WebID; don't
say any of the conditions just mentioned == Wrong.

> Is that a fair summary?

Yes.

> Kingsley, Henry isn't --- I don't think --- actually disagreeing with
> you, it's just a matter of prioritising the initial work.

Henry is sort of misunderstanding me, since nothing I am saying affects
initial work. Its about making initial implementers understand the scope
of WebID etc..

> Correct me if I'm wrong.

100% accurate :-)

Kingsley

> --
> Mo McRoberts - Data Analyst - Digital Public Space,
> Zone 1.08, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA,
> Room 7066, BBC Television Centre, London W12 7RJ,
> 0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key 0x663E2B4A
>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk
> stated.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software