Re: "how do you get people to have and keep key pairs?"

On 4/18/11 9:33 AM, Jeff Sayre wrote:
> I agree. WebIDs will be the key enablers of a Web of Trust (WOT). A real,
> user-centric WOT should not require a central authority. It should enable
> you to decide how much trust you have in the people with whom you
> communicate. All of that is possible via WebIDs

'You' == Passport Office (WebID and Pubkey pairings hosted in a data
space of 'Your' choosing)
'You' == Passport bearer (where Cert and its Private key is secured in a
store of 'Your' choosing)
WebID delivers watermark functionality :-)

Kingsley
> Jeff
>
>> I was watching a rather great talk yesterday from the web foundation
>> board [1] ("Sir Tim and Gordon Brown: How Can the Web Accelerate Social
>> and Economic Change?" - highly recommended!) where TimBL briefly touched
>> on accountability and web of trust, and he made an interesting point,
>> that from a technology standpoint the web of trust is of course possible
>> in many different ways, but the biggest hold up is in the domain of
>> sociology, namely "how do you get people to have and keep key pairs?".
>>
>> I've thought about this many times in the past, but perhaps not given it
>> enough weight in terms of the social benefits to the web population
>> before.. WebID is probably the easiest and most effective way to get
>> people to have and keep key pairs, and it appears to me that this could
>> well be WebIDs most endearing and long lived feature.
>>
>> Probably worth some focus time..
>>
>> [1] http://vimeo.com/22106148
>>     * first 10 minutes are in french, the remainder in english.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nathan

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software