Re: Authentication workflow draft.

On 4/12/11 3:23 PM, Henry Story wrote:

> On 12 Apr 2011, at 21:14, peter williams wrote:
>
>> If we wanted to use W3C standards (even partly), we could even post
>> <wsse: BinarySecurityToken Id="myX509Token"
>>         ValueType="wsse: X509v3"
>>         EncodingType="wsse: Base64Binary">
>> NIFEPzCCA9CrAwIBAgIQEmtJZc0 . .. The rest of the X. 509 base 64 data
>> FExErTECA .. .
>> </wsse:BinarySecurityToken>
>> over https (with client authn + SSL Sessionid).
>> All it has to be is something like (ignoring the SOAP bit):
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms996951.aspx(Adding the
>> X.509 Certificate Token to a SOAP Message)
>> could we be allowed JUST a tiny wee bit of SOAP (since java, and
>> dotNet and … all do the above, being so ancient a spec)? If not, then
>> we are back to fussing with mime types and encoding headers etc, per
>> my last message
>
> No this is a RESTful list. We are working on hypermedia applications
> here.
>
> I do notice a very strong tendendency with you to always seek out the
> more complicated solutions, rather than the simpler ones, to seek
> complexity rather than simplicity...

Henry,

Compatibility pursuits can easily be misconstrued as complexity. The
pursuit here is all about unobtrusive introduction to WebID to massive
realms such as Windows installed base.

Open Source isn't the realm that's going to make the difference here,
solely. We need a multi pronged approach to vector bots dispatch re.
WebID booststrap. No harm getting Microsoft's end-user and developer
bases on board with mininum fuss, even is "minimum fuss" sounds complex :-)

Kingsley

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com