RE: RE: Authentication workflow draft.

I already build a minor variant of an STS that takes "webid". It took about
an hour. Webid at its core just SSL client authn, with custom validation
logic for the cert [chain]. Its more than that WHEN the pedantic web gets
past its academic bent (which Im hoping is soon...having watched RDF for
nearly 15 years now...)

But, shush! All I did was take existing STS code that takes an https
connection (and its client cert) and mint a SAML2 token in the response. I
had the STS use my webid validation class (all of 1 hour to figure that), to
decide whether or not to issue the token. Then, I populated the token
attributes with the contents of the foaf card (so its signed). The token has
short life, assigning short life to this copy foaf card copy and its
triples.

Any ws* or ws-fedp protocol can then invoke webid by proxy, at the IDP.

But, we are not allowed to talk about SOAP, ws*, websso etc. I do this
offline, when making production systems. To be fair, its not per the
architecture. And I respect the differences.

As Henry says, we are here to PUSH the envelope on REST and semweb, and
read/write semweb in particular. Here I agree with him. Its the mission.
There is no point working in W3C in this year's production problems (one
does that on the side, for the making money goal to pay salaries of folks,
etc.). There will come a point in years 5-10 from now where it's just not
sustainable to keep use X.509 cert chains in ASN.1/DER, for discovery. I
need semweb to be filling in, at that point, at commodity status. I have 1
million users to support, and they talk to about 50 million members of the
public. What works in link chains of keys has to be COMMODITY! Furthermore,
the whole thing has to showcase decentralization (sinced in my reality, I
cannot impose security policy on anyone!)

Meantime, Im happy with just using the results of the foaf project as
augmented with webid validation per the spec, mixed with commodity
techniques (like ws*). This allows RDFa files with pubkeys to be used a
validation sources for certs pubkeys, today. And, it supports furtherhenace
of the bigger picture (which I trust Henry to get right, eventually!)