Re: Meeting Mintes for: Agenda for WebID Teleconf, Monday 11 April 2011

On 4/11/11 9:46 PM, peter williams wrote:
> Everything I see in the tone and characterization make me feel like Excel is not in scope. Its like the tools folks use are somehow second class citizens!

It does seem and feel so. But Apple iTunes should be enough to remind
people that native applications that leverage the InterWeb are actually
more powerful and valuable productivity and business development wise.
Twitter's explosion has very little to do with its Web pages and
everything to do with Native applications that tap into Twitter's data
streams via HTTP based APIs.

> One has been able to saveAS to a webDAV server since windows XP!

Yes, I know. That's why WebDAV has always been an integral part of
Virtuoso :-)

> One used to map a drive letter to the remote site, and windows took care of using SMB or WebDAV. This went out of fashion, when WebDAV went out of fashion. Web standard come and go... SOAP is in SOAP is out. WebDav is in; tomorrow its out.

WebDAV is making a comeback.

>   RDF comes in and out. RSS for site maps didn’t really make it.

Yep!

I drop resources into my ODS-Briefcase and I am done. I can make
hypermedia resources from SQL or SPARQL and expose said resources to the
world via URLs. I can use a single function call to populate a Google
Spreadsheet with the roaster of my favorite NFL team etc.. I can do same
with Excel by opening up SPARQL protocol URL that return CSV or dynamic
resources (materialized views) that hold content in CSV format etc..
> If someone has a webid-powered webdav endpoint let me know, I'll try it.

ODS-Briefcase. All you do is make an Briefcase instance via:
id.myopenlink.net/ods :-) You then use the UI to set ACLs (specific
WebID or WebIDs associated with a foaf:Group). This is one of those
"lonely sample" scenarios re. ODS. Until there are more tools that do
this, it will remain somewhat obscure to many.

>   I don’t see why Excel, as an webdav over https client, will not pick up my client  cert from the PC's cert store and complete SSL client authn, just like a browser.

Of it can and should. It requires someone to make the plugin/extension.

> The only difference will the the UA field, to the validating agent. It wont say Mozilla (but should say "Excel" ... or something).

It can even lie if need be :-)

Links:

1. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/ODSBriefcaseFOAFSSL -- simple guide
2. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/OdsBriefcase -- briefcase overview
3. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/OdsBriefcaseFAQ -- a little dated,
this product is old .

Kingsley
> I'd try it too with open office apps on windows (built in java, no?), but what's the betting that my client cert from Henry's myxwiki wont work in open office (which, if its traditional javaland, will want me to enroll with client certs all specific to it, per app!)

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen