Re: [unhosted] Push notifications?

On 4/10/11 1:45 PM, Michiel de Jong wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/10/11 5:31 AM, Michiel de Jong wrote:
>>     I don't think there is a way to do push notifications[1], with
>>     the vanilla DAV service that's in our current protocol stack[2].
>>     That's a bit of a bummer, because push is nice.
>>
>>     It may also be a blessing in disguise though, so we can focus on
>>     the essential basics while spinning up the eco-system (first
>>     unhosted account providers and first unhosted web apps) using
>>     only pull architecture. The good thing about a pull-only setup is
>>     that all resources are owned by the person who writes them, which
>>     makes everything a lot more manageable. We can always slate push
>>     notifications as something we might want to put into the October
>>     2011 update. That gives us some time to think about how we want
>>     to protect against notification-spam, etcetera.
>>

>>     Cheers!
>>     Michiel
>>
>>     [1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html#notification
>>     [2] http://unhosted.org/spec/dav/0.1
>
>     You can use SemanticPingback or Salmon Slap for triggered
>     notifications  re. WebDAV. You can also leverage PubSubHubbub too.
>     SPAM nullification boils down to verifiable identity be it signed
>     emails, comments, pingbacks etc.. You need to combine verifiable
>     identity with resources ACLs.
>
>     Links:
>
>     1. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/ -- OpenLink Data Spaces (an
>     Open Source Platform for Personal and Corporate Data Spaces)
>     2. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/ODSBriefcaseFOAFSSLShareFile
>     -- using WebID ACLs to protect resources in the ODS-Briefcase (WebDAV)
>     3. http://ods.openlinksw.com/wiki/ODS/ODSBriefcaseFOAFSSL --
>     attempting to access ACL protected WebDAV  or basic HTTP
>     accessible resources .
>
> Thanks for the links, I didn't know semantic pingback yet. Yes, I
> understand that push notifications will be necessary if we consider
> them in version 0.2 of the spec. We'll add something like semantic
> pingback, or pubsubhubbub, or Tim Berners-Lee's suggestion of a
> 'dropbox' that has world-append permissions.
>
> What I was talking about is that in the current version of our
> "Unhosted WebDAV" protocol stack, all data is owner-read/writable and
> world-readable, and there is no way or the user's app to change that.

Yes, and via ODS I am showing you a very old platform that has ACL
enhanced WebDAV. It had all of this before the existence of the WebID
protocol. The WebID protocol simply made it easier for us to be part of
a loosely coupled WebDAV + ACLs mesh without everyone requiring an ODS
account.

> That means we will be writing the first generation of unhosted web
> apps with a pull architecture, and will not add any push notifications
> until October, which is when version 0.2 of the protocol stack is
> scheduled.
>
> The reason we're time-versioning the protocol stack is that we need a
> bit of stability in order to bootstrap the eco-system of people
> offering unhosted account on the one hand, and other people writing
> unhosted web apps on the other. To avoid constant deprecation of
> either apps or accounts, we decided to change the protocol stack only
> in April and October of each year. So in October, we can look into
> adding semantic pingback, but right now we will be focussing on our
> current stack which is Webfinger, OAuth, WebDAV, CORS and E2EE.

Yes, I've studied your stack.

WebFinger provides you with a segue to WebID. Once you have WebID you
have the ability to leverage ACLs. The single most important item here
is verifiable identifiers that resolve to Linked Data Graphs that bear
(carry) trust semantics based on trust logic.

Kingsley

> Cheers!
> MIchiel

President&  CEO