Re: WebID security picture

On 8 Apr 2011, at 17:55, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> How does you grandmother decide which doctor she trusts
>> she uses the one which is closest. somebody else has already decided whether they're suitable to be a doctor or not. in fact, she can't use one which is further away unless she decides to pay for private treatment (a minority do, of course), because the doctor's surgery caters to a specific geographical area.
>>
>>> which computer she should buy
>> judging by the sales of awful computers… a lot of people just pick whatever's cheapest.
>>
>>> which man she married?
>> by meeting him first and getting to know him before committing anything…
>>
>>> How does your grandma decide which chainsaw to use?
>> it doesn't matter, because picking the wrong chainsaw has minimal implications, which is how choosing a host for a FOAF document *should* be.

picking the wrong chainsaw can have pretty bad implications! :-/ It could lead to seeing the doctor mentioned above, if not worse.

As you see the answers to how trust is found is different for each object, but it always relies on social networks in some way. Even with computers where you say people pick what is cheapest, the dominant OS is around because it made interchanging things for business purposes so easy.

> Yes, but once you make your partially informed decision, you have the right to choose better options. Sadly, we learn via pain. Ignorance isn't bliss, and it might take the wonderment of the InterWeb to fix this contemporary human bug.
>
> In a nutshell, I am saying: via initiatives such as WebID the InterWeb will accelerate the materialization of pain associated with superficial decisions. There's a major difference between "Simply Simple" and "Deceptively Simple". Today, the world is primarily intoxicated with "Simply Simple" via the deadly misdirection incumbent in the subliminal "Ignorance is bliss" meme and mantra pushed by vendors, especially in the InterWeb technology realm.
>
> Humans learn via pain, sad but true. WebID will ultimately delivered solutions that actually fail in real life. Remember the days when signatures on the back of a credit card actually meant something? Today, most credit cards have empty signature strips. Remember when your signature on a checque (or check) meant something? Ditto the socially awkward situation re. false negatives on said signatures etc.. WebID will take us back to meaningful signatures module social awkwardness of verification.
>
> Re. flaws and vulnerabilities. As we do interop and QA, lets encourage people to break our systems if they can. Takeover my WebID by breaking into my Data Space :-)

That is a good idea. Let us see how this works in practice and work on the best responses to them.