RE: WebID Test Suite

1. Does the (clerezza) validator insist that a self-signed client cert has
an good signature? Or does it not matter?

2. Which server cert issuers can I use with a standard validator doing unit
tests (e.g. clerezza), if I try an https webid?

On https further:-

3 Presumably, the list of issuers for server certs depends on whichever
linux platform such as clerezza is operating. Should the unit tests define a
set of authorized issuers?

We just have to be careful that two installs (of such as clerezza) could
have a different set of unit test results, simply because the linuxes used
might differ or different versions  of apache are used (and thus the list of
linux/apache endorsed SSL server cert issuers MIGHT differ moment to moment,
leading to different validation results when https webids are used).

4 If a server cert is revoked, _should_ the webid be viewed as invalid?

5 Should a unit tester bother checking revocation status, of the server cert
and/or the CA certs in the chain?

6 If the server cert has v3 extensions that are critical, should the chain
checker of the server enforce the criticality rules (and refuse the
connection, if the critical extension is unsupported)? For example, if the
cert says it for client authn only (denying server authn) and the extension
is marked critical, will the test suite detect this? Is the webid valid or
invalid?

7. If the same extension is marked NON-critical (but still says client authn
only), what is the correct validity of the webid?

For both client cert CHAINS, and server cert CHAINS:

8. if a CA cert has a critical basicContraints extension that says the max
length of the cert chain is 3 (say), and its actually 4 in the SSL messages,
is this valid or invalid?

9. if the clerezza validator has marked in its local root store an
_intermediate_ CA certificate, does the validator check the cert chain
delivered in the SSL message or the cert chain that terminates at its local
root store (with the trusted intermediate cert)?

10. if the issuer of an intermediate cert revokes it, but the local trust
store marks it trusted, which carries more weight - when determining the
validity of the webid?

11. if the CN name in a server name is not present in DNS, what is the
validity of the webid?

12. If there is no CN name in a server cert AND/OR SAN DNS field, is the
webid automatically invalid?