How to request a WebID?

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:01:36 +0100
To: WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
Hi All,

A possible issue, how does a server specifically tell a client that it's
trying to auth with WebID?

Let's suppose for a moment that somebody else comes up with (or already
uses) an authentication protocol which also uses client side certs as
identifiers, let's call is SSL-ID.

In my browser I have 2 certificates, my WebID one, and my SSL-ID one, so:

1) how does a server inform the client that it's requesting a WebID or
an SSL-ID?

2) how do I (as a user) know which to select, when all that's presented
is a "please select your certificate"?

We may need to address this, or include technologies which cater for
this (I can't think of any off the top of my head, but then I haven't
looked or paid attention to this use case yet - may follow up later if I
find some).

Best,

Nathan