Re: WG: Approach to USDL variant management

Hi all,

Here are some thoughts provoked by the presentation Kay gave us last week..

First of all, variability management can not be achieved with purely
conceptual or linguistic
approaches. Variability can be supported by modelling languages, but
managing
variability requires methodological support in form methods, tools, and / or
processes. From this perspective, I consider the presentation Kay gave
us very
relevant for our work, if we want to create a mechanism for managing
USDL variants.
In the following a selection of ideas are briefly introduced that could
be considered
for enabling variability management in the context of the USDL
framework. I numbered
the approaches 0-3, the first one being the approach we were presented
with, and the last
one being my personal favourite (while it is the most complicated in a
sense).

0) "Integration Knowledge Library" -approach
  Proceed as suggested by Kay in the teleconference and utilize CCTS and the
  corresponding Integration Knowledge Library for providing a
technology-based
  support for designing and maintaining domain specific variants of USDL.

  + existing work and tools can be utilized to get a "flying start"

  - technology dependent approach
  - does not support service engineering (rejection of the existing
Ecore-based
    USDL metamodels)
  - disruptive approach, as discussed in Kay's presentation

1) "CCTS and Ecore in concert" -approach

   Utilize both approaches: use the CCTS for variant parts of USDL and
Ecore for
   specifying the common parts of USDL (M5). Provide an Ecore metamodel
for the
   CCTS such that model transformations can be utilized between CCTS and
USDL
   representations of domain specific business vocabulary.

   + does not reject the Ecore / EMF facilities and existing Ecore-based
USDL metamodels
      --> enhanced engineering support when compared to the previous
approach
   - heavy semantic burden on model transformations: how to map CCTS
concepts to
     USDL concepts
   - does not provide any support for designing the mappings / model
transformations
   - it can be difficult to define consistency rules, constraints and best
     practices for the mappings in a general level between two such
different
     conceptual frameworks (CCTS vs. USDL)

2) "BPMN extension" -approach

  I actually do not know, if this is anything similar that some of you
meant when
  introducing the BPMN 2.0 extension mechanism as a possible solution. What
  follows is my interpretation for the applicability of an extension
mechanism
  similar to the BPMN 2.0.

  Incorporate the CCTS variability support in the USDL metamodel. Use a
metamodel
  extension approach similar to BPMN 2.0 to provide USDL with an extension
  mechanism. The extension mechanism could also reflect the CCTS approach,
  i.e. the USDL metamodel is provided with constructs that align with
the CCTS
  approach and is "implemented" using type-object -pattern such as
applied in the
  BPMN 2.0.

  + makes the variability less dependent on technology, as the mechanism
for variability
    management is somewhat made visible in the metamodel
  - "pollutes" the current USDL metamodel with CCTS concepts
  - possibly requires large refactoring of the USDL metamodel
   - the preceding pollution and refactoring may create severe backward
     compatibility problems (is this an issue anyway?)

3) "Domain specific metamodelling" -approach

  Create a CCTS -based metamodel for supporting definition of variants
in the
  context of business vocabularies (similarily to approach 1) in the
context of a
  conceptual framework similar to USDL. So this CCTS -based metamodel is
kind of
  a conceptual union between CCTS and USDL metamodels. Using model
  transformations, generate domain specific USDL metamodels for each variant
  described with the CCTS -based metamodel.

  This approach is a kind of mixture between approaches 1 and 2: it
utilizes a CCTS-based metamodel
  for defining business vocabulary variants, and creates domain specific
USDL variants from them
  with model transformations.

  + USDL metamodel is utilized as such, no extensions needed
  + new USDL variants can be  generated efficiently with model
transformations
  + the CCTS-based metamodel can be used for enabling efficient
development of
  "Integration Knowledge Libraries" by utilizing the EMF framework
  + the original CCTS approach with IKL can be utilized for bootstrapping a
    variant management infrastructure: only an additional mapping from CCTS
    information model to the CCTS-based metamodel is needed

Model extension mechanism[1] can be utilized in approaches 1 and 3 for
formalizing the relationships
between "core" USDL and "extended" USDL metamodels (variants).

Best regards,
  -Toni

[1] Barbero, Mikael and Jouault, Frederic and Gray, Jeff and Bezivin,
Jean. A Practical Approach to Model Extension.
In Akehurst, David and Vogel, Regis and Paige, Richard (eds.) Model
Driven Architecture- Foundations and Applications,
Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume 4530,  Springer Berlin /
Heidelberg, 2007.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-72901-3\_3

--
Toni Ruokolainen                (toni.ruokolainen(at)cs.helsinki.fi)
Doctoral student (Ph.Lic)