ISSUE-10 (MPool): Section 3.1.1 is unclear

From: Uncertainty Reasoning for the World Wide Web Incubator Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:39:17 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-xg-urw3@w3.org

ISSUE-10 (MPool): Section 3.1.1 is unclear

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/urw3/tracker/issues/

Raised by: Michael Pool
On product:

An expression in some logical language that evaluates to a truth-value (formula, axiom, assertion). - not a sentence

It is then assumed that information will be presented in the form of sentences.
-It is then assumed? when assumed?

So the uncertainty will be associated with sentences.
-Why?

I'd propose that we use 'proposition' here in place of sentence, clearly noting that by 'proposition' we mean the meaning of a sentence that is invariant through all translations of the sentence, i.e., is fully language independent.    The uncertainty is not a feature of an expression in a logical language, 'A likes B' does not have an uncertainty until we've assigned values to A and B and then only in virtue of the proposition that 'A likes B' expresses.  The uncertainty t is a property of the factual assertion that the expression expresses, not the expression itself