ISSUE-10 (MPool): Section 3.1.1 is unclear

From: Uncertainty Reasoning for the World Wide Web Incubator Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:39:17 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-xg-urw3@w3.org

ISSUE-10 (MPool): Section 3.1.1 is unclear

Raised by: Michael Pool
On product:

An expression in some logical language that evaluates to a truth-value (formula, axiom, assertion). - not a sentence

It is then assumed that information will be presented in the form of sentences.
-It is then assumed? when assumed?

So the uncertainty will be associated with sentences.

I'd propose that we use 'proposition' here in place of sentence, clearly noting that by 'proposition' we mean the meaning of a sentence that is invariant through all translations of the sentence, i.e., is fully language independent.    The uncertainty is not a feature of an expression in a logical language, 'A likes B' does not have an uncertainty until we've assigned values to A and B and then only in virtue of the proposition that 'A likes B' expresses.  The uncertainty t is a property of the factual assertion that the expression expresses, not the expression itself