Re: updated uncertainty ontology

Kathy,

Here are my replies to your changes.

On Jan 7, 2008, at 11:44 PM, Kathryn B Laskey wrote:

> Mitch,
>
> I made a couple of changes to the uncertainty ontology. Please look
> them over and let me know what you think.
>
> I was uncomfortable with the word "random" being used as broadly as
> you use it.   The standard usage of the term random connotes a
> phenomenon that follows a statistical law. There is much ontological
> debate over whether randomness in this sense really exists.  Most
> people would not use the label random for sentences that have a
> definite but unknown truth-value -- such as whether Sacco and
> Vanzetti were guilty. Nevertheless, we can apply probability to such
> sentences (see the book on the Sacco and Vanzetti case by Jay Kadane
> and Dave Schum).  I took the liberty of changing the term to
> empirical on the ontology page.  I haven't changed any of the
> diagrams, and if I'm overruled we can go back -- but I really think
> this terminology is more appropriate. Then I made randomness a
> subclass of empirical uncertainty.  I chose this terminology because
> that is the term used by Morgan and Henrion (1990), which I have
> added to the reference list.  It is an excellent reference on
> uncertainty.

I like your descriptions of Empirical. This is definitely a better
description than what we had before for "Randomness". However, the
name "empirical" seems to be strange here, but if you think this is
the name to use, then I have no problem. The other opposite of
"empirical" is "theoretical". So would you say that the other types
(ambiguity, vagueness and inconsistency) are theoretical and not
empirical? This might be the case, but it's just that I am not sure.

I would prefer a different description of Randomness. You say
"sentence is an instance of a class" - do we need the notion of class
here? Could we just say that "there is a statistical law governing
whether the possible worlds satisfy a sentence"? Or something of this
sort?

> I also don't think it's right to say for the case of randomness that
> a sentence is satisfied in one of the worlds.  An event in
> probability theory is a sentence that has a definite truth-value in
> each world (satisfies the clarity test) and is satisfied in a subset
> of worlds.  I changed the definition to correspond to this.

Agreed (see above).

> I have issues with your definition of vagueness and ambiguity also.
> For ambiguity, you say a sentence can be satisfied in many worlds.
> Consider a sequence of 50 coin tosses, and consider the sentence
> that the first toss is heads.  This sentence is not ambiguous.  Its
> meaning is perfectly clear.  It is satisfied in 2^49 of the 2^50
> possible worlds.  I looked at many definitions of ambiguity. It
> means open to multiple interpretations; not clearly defined. I
> changed the definition of ambiguity to "the referents of terms in a
> sentence to the world are not clearly specified and therefore it
> cannot be determined whether the sentence is satisfied".

I like this. In my first attempt I wanted to capture exactly what you
mentioned above - open to multiple interpretations. Your description
captures this much better.

> I also changed vagueness to "there is not a precise correspondence
> between terms in the sentence and referents in the world".  The
> prototypical example of vagueness is the concept of "tall" -- each
> of the possible worlds specifies a definite height, but there is no
> referent in the world for the term "tall."

The example of tall is very good. This is exactly what I had mind,
too. My intuition here points to fuzzy logic. The only problem with
the description now is that vagueness looks very much like ambiguity.
Perhaps we should make a reference to multi-valued logic here?