URW3 questions on RIF

From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:17:23 -0400
To: Giorgos Stoilos <gstoil@image.ece.ntua.gr>
Cc: public-xg-urw3@w3.org

We discussed your report and were interested in what the RIF WG has
in mind for dialects.  From the IRC log (now linked from the URW3
Member Home Page)

<KathyL> Ken mentioned the idea of dialects from RIF
<anne_cregan> Some methods may be incommensurate, and identifying
that is in itself a valuable contribution
<KathyL> In fact, Ken discussed with somebody that uncertainty
information might be represented
<KathyL> as a dialect in RIF
<Ken> Anne's idea of ways to capture info for different methods could
be like RIF dialects built over a base

<Ken> Q: is RIF just going to write official dialects or will it
provide enough of a documented framework that others can write dialects?
<Ken> do new dialects need RIF WG blessing?

<KathyL> Kathy suggested that if there is a mechanism to define dialects
<KathyL> then we can allow dialects to evolve de facto
<KathyL> without declaring them official prematurely

Can you comment on this?

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7151 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508