RE: RIF Working Group in a Nutshell

Hi all,

Actually during some f2f meetings it was evident that most people in RIF
would like to provide a Semantic Web Rule Language as an outcome of the RIF
WG. But still i) this is informal; ii) taking into account the slow progress
of RIF it is not clear if we will manage to; iii) If it comes to choosing a
"winner" (as Ken mentioned) things are going to get wild (again :)) and
perhaps the attempt will fail.

But anyway, it doesn't mean that the RIF approach cannot suit someone's
needs. You can write your rules in any rule language you want, like Prolog,
Flora-2, SWRL, and then provide a mapping from your language X to RIF and
from RIF to X. Then any system that supports X would be interoperable with
you plus the RIF Core fragment of your rule base would be interoperable with
any other rule system. In the case where X\subset{RIF Core} your rule base
should be interoperable with every rule system.

-gstoil