RE: Model and sources of uncertainty

Hmmm, clear enough, thanks! But I think that it would be better to use a
different term in place of "ambiguity", see below.

> > In the definition of inconclusiveness you use the term "not
> > enough" (i.e. incomplete). Thus, is it related to incompleteness?
>
> If you have complete information about an inherently probabilistic
> phenomena (thinking on Quantum theory might help here) then you still
> can't reach a uncertainty-free conclusion.

Sooryy..; not a Quantum theory expert (not even a novice) :).

> > Some examples might also help.
>
> Please, be aware that when it comes to devising good examples I am
> just pathetic.
>
> Contradictory evidence:
> - Every computer in the product design department is a mac.
> - Mary works in a Dell computer from the product design department.
> Conflicting evidence:
> - People form the design department voted Mary, a brilliant software
> designer, for employee of the year.
> - John, the design department's leader, blamed Mary for the poor
> quality ratings the department got this year.
> Ambiguous evidence:
> - Sam and Max were seen in the woods, they are hunting dogs
> (ambiguity in the meaning - patent ambiguity)

So my suggestion is to use the term nonspecificity rather than ambiguity. So
in the case of Sam and Max it is not specific (the evidence is not specific
enough) what the real case is. Are they hunting those poor dogs or are they
"hunting-dogs"? The term non-specificity also captures the case of
imprecision: "Mary is in her thirties". So Mary is either 30, 31, 32,...,
39; it is not specific.

Also consider the first case (about Dell and Mac computers). One could
characterize this case as ambiguous since either every computer is a mac or
not (similar to the case of hunting dogs). The evidences are specific enough
but the knowledge is ambiguous.

Summing up, in my view ambiguity is a superconcept of both dissonance and
non-specificity.

> - Only tall people can play Basketball (What is a tall person - lack
> of precision - latent ambiguity)

I don't think this falls into the same category. The evidence seems very
precise and not at all ambiguous to me. The fact that concept "tall" does
not have precise definition (it is fuzzy, vague, etc) is not related to the
trust, correctness, evidence, etc of the statement. Similarly, with the
concepts "brilliant" (...software designer), "poor" (...quality ratings)
found in other examples.

Greetings,
-gstoil