Re: [URW3 public] OWL extensions [was Re: [URW3] ... three questions based on the last telecon]

I am more in favor of having no OWL/RDFS language extension at all,
but encoding the data, according to a core uncertainty ontology,
which we may develop as outcome (see my previous email.... or just
below). To my opinion, this is by far much more extensible/flexible
than any OWL/RDFS language extension and  certainly faster and easier
to be accepted by any non-uncertainty community.

Cheers,

	-Umberto Straccia

%----Straccia's previous email

The OWL ontology can be used to describe different types of
uncertainty, but can also to used to describe HOW uncertain
information is represented in OWL (without any language extension) or
RDF/RDFS.

To be explicit, suppose I would like to express the concept of YOUNG
using an explicit fuzzy membership function such as a left-shoulder
function with parameter a=20, b=30 (below 20 someone is young to
degree 1, after 30 he is young to degree 0, in between we use linear
interpolation).

Now, we have two options

a) either we suggest an extension to OWL (more precisely OWL-DL) or
RDF/RDFS to explicitly accommodate such functions (i.e. we propose a
language construct for that)
b) or we develop an OWL-DL ontology (or RDF/RDFS ontology) describing
HOW to represent such information into the current standardized OWL-
DL language. In our specific case, we may say that

LeftShoulderFunction ISA FuzzyMembershipFunction
			 WITH HasParameterA of type Float
			 WITH HasParameterB of type Float

Then we can represent Young with

Young ISA VagueConcept
	  WITH HasFuzzyMembershipFunction of type LeftShoulderFunction WITH
HasParameterA = 20
								       WITH HasParameterB = 30

It is then up to a parser to correctly interpret the statements and
then to load them into an underlying reasoning system.

In this way our objective is (using the use cases) to develop an
ontology, which describes HOW different notions of imperfect
knowledge is represented in OWL-DL (RDF/RDFS).

	-Umberto.

%----