Re: [URW3 public] Re: [URW3] ... three questions based on the last telecon

see inline  -Ken

On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Peter Vojtas wrote:

> Hi Mitch
>
> Mitch Kokar wrote:
>> I just wanted to add a few words of clarification to the lively
>> discussion.
>> 1. The URW3 ontology on our web site is in OWL (see
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/urw3/wiki/UncertaintyOntology?
>> action=Attach
>> File&do=get&target=Uncertainty.owl). As it is now, it is just OWL-DL.
>> 2. The intent was to have an ontology to annotate use cases, and not
>> develop a full ontology for reasoning about uncertainty. If we jump
>> into the
>> details, we will loose our focus and will not accomplish our goal.
> I agree that we have to focus to accomplish our goal - see chapter (so
> these are not only use cases, but we have a structure of the final
> report - is this uncertainty ontology sufficient for annotating all
> arguments in this report - I am a little bit concerned)
>> 3. I suggest that we draw the separation line between the annotation
>> of the
>> uncertainty of a sentence and what the sentence is about. Other
>> communities
>> are working on the latter issue, so I suggest we just focus on the
>> former.
> But then we do not need any extension of W3C standards, we just
> introduce several key words
>
> What the sentence is about is important for our decision about
> uncertainty assignment - e.g. if I know a contradicting information,
> or a consequence from a trusted site, it will influence my uncertainty
> assignment.
> Uncertainty about the weather is no more uncertain when the tome is
> gone

So it appears that I may need to convey information on what influenced
my uncertainty assignment.  Note, this is not saying I need to
represent what the sentence is about but rather I may need to point to
the mechanisms that were developed by "other communities" and that I am
using as the (or a) basis of my assessment.

As to whether we need any extension of W3C standards, that remains to
be seen.  We are fairly certain that the current standards are
insufficient for our purposes, but it is not yet certain that
sufficient extensions will be identified within the current structures.
  Note, I am not saying there aren't feasible extensions, only that we
have yet to prove that point.

>> 4. However, if we want to be at least a little more specific and try
>> satisfy some of the concerns that Peter has raised, we could add one
>> more
>> property to the ontology, e.g., "includesSentence" whose domain and
>> range is
>> Sentence. In that way we could show that a particular sentence is a
>> complex
>> sentence that includes other sentences as components, where those
>> other
>> sentences can have their own uncertainty. If there is support for
>> this, I
>> can make changes in the current URW3 OWL ontology.
> yes, or even "IsAboutSentence".

+1 IsAboutSentence

>> In summary, although I agree that OWL has (lots of) limitations, I
>> would
>> rather use a language that has formal semantics, rather than trying to
>> propose a new language at this point. This might turn out to be
>> necessary in
>> the future, but for now I hope OWL is sufficient.
> I fully agree

A point of consensus!  (Something your chairs are supposed to foster
and recognize :-) )   Let's make use of it.

>> ==Mitch
> Peter

-----
Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7151 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508