From: Raúl García Castro
Sent: Friday, 11 April 2014 8:08:13 AM
To: Cox, Simon (CLW, Highett); markus.stocker@gmail.com; allaves@fi.upm.es
Cc: public-xg-ssn@w3.org
Subject: Re: Multiple values in one observation

El 11/04/14 08:05, Simon.Cox@csiro.au escribió:
> How about
>
> :o1 rdf:type ssn:Observation .
> :o1 ssn:observedBy :mySensor1 .
> :o1 ssn:observedProperty [ a my:CompositeProperty
>        my:member :magnitude ;
>        my:member :depth . ] # or maybe an ordered list structure
> :o1 ssn:featureOfInterest :earthquakePhenomenon .
> :o1 ssn:observationResult :sensorOutput1 . # -> links to the observation values as an ordered list

Hi Simon,

This approach is also suggested in the report. However, I see different
drawbacks.

The first one is the creation of ad-hoc classes for grouping properties
(i.e., my:CompositeProperty) or features. People needs to know about
this class in order to correctly use your data.

The second and more important is the risk of losing the link between a
property and its observation value. In the example above, you don't know
which value is related to :magnitude and which one to :depth (order of
triples has no meaning in RDF).

Using ordered lists could be a solution. The problem here is that the
relationship between a property and its observation result is implicit
by your design decision but is not explicit in the model (i.e., I know
that the first member of this list is related to the first member of
this list but this is just in my head, not in the model).

This can be made explicit by adding these relations between list
elements (e.g., explicit indexes) but at the end the model gets
overcomplicated.

Kind regards,

--

Dr. Raúl García Castro
http://www.garcia-castro.com/

Ontology Engineering Group
Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial
Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Campus de Montegancedo, s/n - Boadilla del Monte - 28660 Madrid
Phone: +34 91 336 65 96 - Fax: +34 91 352 48 19