Fwd: Re: [via Web of Sensors Community Group]

Hi Marcos,

On 22/02/2012 13:05, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> Hi Art,
>
> On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>

>> What is the difference between the Web of Sensors CG and the Semantic Sensor
>> Networks CG http://www.w3.org/community/ssn-cg/ ?
>>
> Aside from being better looking, we will, when we (ever) start, look at how to make APIs that integrate with the web platform. The Semantic Sensor group seems to be focusing on "defining and using ontologies and mappings for querying" sensors (which does not strike me as a good starting point, when we don't even have a simple sensor API or a means to communicate with a sensor network… let alone communicating with a kit like an Arduino).

a mean to communicate with a sensor network / platform / node is exactly
what is addressed by describing the information involved, using Semantic
Technologies. Such technologies ease the data communication since they
ease the understanding and integration by not relying on ad-hoc schemas
or top-down imposed standards (often not covering all the particular
needs and having low uptake). That's why ontologies, RDF, Linked Data
are important technologies / principles.

I'm very interested in a discussion about this (as, I guess, many
others), since it would be nice if the Sensor Web and the Semantic
Sensor Web [1] could cooperate and unify their efforts.

Best regards,
Myriam

[1]http://wiki.knoesis.org/index.php/SSW