From: Simon Cox [simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu]
Sent: 23 June 2010 14:56
To: Barnaghi P Dr (Electronic Eng); Michael.Compton@csiro.au; public-xg-ssn@w3.org
Subject: RE: operating and survival conditions

The problem with SWEET is that it does not have an open, or even
particularly orderly, maintenance process.
This is a known issue, and the NSF funders have been trying to rectify the
problem, but it has not been solved yet.
It is managed by a very small group with no formal contact with
authoritative external bodies.

e.g. they took their Geological Timescale from Wikipedia.
The IUGS Commission for Stratigraphy is the authority in this area, and
Wikipedia ( and thus  SWEET) were incorrect in several places.
On investigation I found out that this part of SWEET was done by a
(vacation?) student, who understandably had little experience in research
and collaboration.

This appears to be symptomatic of a rather casual approach to governance,
which SWEET can get away and still be taken seriously because of the NASA
monicker.
It's a shame as the fundamentals are good, but the attention to detail
really lets them down.

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
mailto:simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox

SDI Unit: http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
IES Institute: http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
JRC: http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

Any opinions expressed are personal unless otherwise indicated.