W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-ssn@w3.org > June 2010

SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 8 June 2010

From: <Laurent.Lefort@csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 01:46:34 +1000
To: <public-xg-ssn@w3.org>
Message-ID: <B484B32EAEABE14AA5409575229CECF30127ED3C3C54@EXNSW-MBX05.nexus.csiro.au>
Hi,

Thank to those who attended the telephone conference last week.
And a special thanks to Vincent for scribing. 
The minutes of the meeting are here: http://www.w3.org/2010/06/08-ssn-minutes.html

In summary, we have finalised the annotation strategy for the ontology, done a pass on the Status/work plan for the Ontology deliverable and shorthly discussed the three issues opened before the meeting. 

Thanks to Kerry for her completion of her action. This wiki page records what we've decided during the meeting http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Terminology_and_Term_Provenance_in_the_Ontology after I asked if we could have a extra annotation to help us to group the concept belonging to the same "sub-deliverables":
- use rdfs:comment to insert a textual string describing the intended meaning of the class in written in English
- use dc:source to identify  the source of the corresponding "rdfs:comment" annotation property
- use rdf:seeAlso to record the url of the page documenting the section/group of the ontology 
And do this for the classes, object and datatype properties.

For the Ontology deliverable, I've introduced the list of work items described in this page http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Semantic_Sensor_Net_Ontology 
There was an in-principle agreement with the proposed approach to complete the documentation and the examples for the parts where the discussion on the ontology design has been done and then create a issue to help us to formally close the corresponding work items. As suggested by the table, we intend to maintain a single module for the ontology, but complete it with different thematic examples. 

The intent of this page http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Semantic_Sensor_Net_Ontology 
 and also of this page http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Key_Sensor_Concepts is to identify the the sub-deliverables of the Ontology work packages and also the "external" ontologies which are out of scope of the XG charter but which are required as "imports" for the construction of representative examples,

Michael made the remark that the figure at the top of http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Key_Sensor_Concepts is slightly out of date. A more upd-to-date figure is included in slide 18 of  the EGU talk http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/images/e/e1/SSNX.pdf 

The work plan for the ontology deliverables need to be refined: split into sub-deliverables, missing documentation, content of examples, the reuse of external ontologies, and the possible options for handling the "extensions" e.g. the parts of the CSIRO or Ontolgy Device ontology which are not covered by the SSN XG ontology. 

We have quickly reviewed Issue 5 "Separation of examples - Delivery of the SSN XG ontology and of examples in separate files" - principle is OK - detailed split to refine as noted above
and  ISSUE-6 Pub. on ext. web sites - Versions of the SSN ontology published on external web sites - Laurent explained the risk of confusion to Luis and also attened the Ontology Device teleconf held one hour later to explain why I think we need a tighter configuration management at this stage of the XG.

An action resulted from this discussion. 

ACTION: Laurent to define the final place where the XG ontology will be delivered [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/08-ssn-minutes.html#action02]. 

I need to liaise with Coralie on if it is possible to post the ontology somewehere under http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/ (which is the W3C workspace currently used by the XG) and what type of configuration management tools are available for such a location (e.g. CVS). 

There was no much time left to discuss ISSUE-7 Doc format/generation - Documentation format - Generation of documentation derived from the OWL file. Raśl suggested OWLDoc through the mailing list and Luis told us that MMI is using the builtin ORR documentation capabilities. This is not quite what I'm looking for (I will post a message about this issue separately). 

Finally, Kerry is proud to announce that her Semantic Sensor Network workshop proposal at ISWC 2010 http://iswc2010.semanticweb.org/node/48  has been accepted . More details soon.

Cheers
Laurent
Received on Tuesday, 15 June 2010 15:47:16 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 15 June 2010 15:47:17 GMT