W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-ssn@w3.org > July 2009

Re: SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 15-July-2009

From: Krzysztof Janowicz <janowicz@uni-muenster.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:56:39 +0200
Message-ID: <4A5EDD37.709@uni-muenster.de>
To: Oscar Corcho <ocorcho@fi.upm.es>
CC: public-xg-ssn@w3.org, 'Raúl García Castro' <rgarcia@fi.upm.es>
Hi,

> The main problem with this is the following: source versioning systems are focused on detecting changes/deltas in source code, but not in ontology code.

I agree. IMO in this case the versioning is more to document and keep
track of our changes (and have the possibility to go back if necessary).


> I think that Raúl was commenting the possibility of using WebProtégé, which allows discussions over ontology terms, and probably we could go for a mixture of technologies/approaches: WebProtégé for the collaboration part on pure ontology development, and sourceforge for the bug tracking, the community involvement, and the releases of specific versions of the ontologies. 

This sounds like a very good solutions. I never used WebProtege and
would be happy to see how we can work on the ontology together. We could
then use sourceforge for community building, tracking, feature request,
and so forth. this would also make it much easier to contribute to the
ontology compared to the wiki solution and make sure that the ontology
becomes one of our joint project that can also be used by others (this
also links back to Manfred's comments about academic credit and the need
to develop working ontologies to perform experiments ...).

regards,
Krzysztof


Oscar Corcho schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry to jump in in this conversation without having attended the last two conference calls, due to travelling. While I agree with all the statements about community based development with Sourceforge, I must say that this approach has been tried unsuccessfully in different sets of activities that I have been participating in the past. The main problem with this is the following: source versioning systems are focused on detecting changes/deltas in source code, but not in ontology code. When a person makes a change in an ontology with an ontology editor, the most important fact is that the serialization of the ontology may be **completely different** to the previous one, in terms of the ordering of the RDF triples that appear in the file, what makes tracking of changes almost impossible for humans.
>
> I think that Raúl was commenting the possibility of using WebProtégé, which allows discussions over ontology terms, and probably we could go for a mixture of technologies/approaches: WebProtégé for the collaboration part on pure ontology development, and sourceforge for the bug tracking, the community involvement, and the releases of specific versions of the ontologies. 
>
> What do you think?
>
> Oscar
>
> -----Mensaje original-----
> De: public-xg-ssn-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-ssn-request@w3.org] En nombre de Krzysztof Janowicz
> Enviado el: jueves, 16 de julio de 2009 8:44
> Para: public-xg-ssn@w3.org
> Asunto: Re: SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 15-July-2009
>
> Hi,
>
>   
>> Also, I like the idea presented in today’s meeting regarding posting
>> the ontology to a popular forum such as sourceforge.net using an open
>> license (e.g. Apache/BSD variant) once a suitable baseline is available.
>>     
> Thanks, there are basically three reasons why I brought this up
> yesterday. first, a platform such as sourceforge offers us a very useful
> architecture. we can develop the sensor (and observation) ontology
> together using SVN as versioning system and hence document our design
> decisions (and that is what ontology is about). somebody like holger
> could act as release manager and make official releases every x weeks.
> on one side, this would give as some regular schedule (and pressure) to
> make our recent changes coherent. on the other side, interested people
> can always browse the SVN at sourceforge directly to see what is
> happening right now. moreover, sourceforge offers a forum, a bug
> tracker, and especially also a feature request form. we can use these
> features to coordinate our work on the ontology but also to get feedback
> from others. second, if we host the ontology (no matter in which stage)
> at sourceforge people will start to use it and give us feedback. this is
> also about transparency - having the ontology only on our wiki makes it
> difficult for others to find out who is responsible for which parts, who
> should be contacted, and so on. third, IMO the licensing issue is an
> important decision. everybody should be free to use the ontology and to
> modify (fork) it if necessary (especially because our work is also based
> on other ontologies). finally, having it at a platform like sourceforge
> makes sure that work on the ontology can also continue (and be supported
> by others) after the incubator group ran out.
>
> Best regards,
> Krzysztof
>
>
> Kelsey, William D schrieb:
>   
>> Hi All,
>>
>>  
>>
>> I’m new to the group (today was my second meeting).  I would be
>> interested to learn if anyone has draft use cases that are driving the
>> Sensor/Observation ontology/ontologies.  If so, can they be shared?
>>
>>  
>>
>> Also, I like the idea presented in today’s meeting regarding posting
>> the ontology to a popular forum such as sourceforge.net using an open
>> license (e.g. Apache/BSD variant) once a suitable baseline is
>> available.  Hopefully this approach would promote increased exposure
>> for both adoption and refinement.
>>
>>  
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> W. David Kelsey
>> Boeing Research & Technology 
>> Information Management & Transformation 
>> (206)662-3963
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> *From:* Holger.Neuhaus@csiro.au [mailto:Holger.Neuhaus@csiro.au]
>> *Sent:* Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:05 PM
>> *To:* public-xg-ssn@w3.org
>> *Subject:* SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 15-July-2009
>>
>>  
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thank you all for a really productive meeting.
>>
>> The draft minutes are available at: 
>> http://www.w3.org/2009/07/15-ssn-minutes.html
>>
>> Please let me invite you to continue the discussion on the mailing list.
>>
>>
>>     *Summary of Action Items*
>>
>> **[NEW]** **ACTION:** all discuss the versioning etc. of the ontology
>> [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/15-ssn-minutes.html#action01]
>> **[NEW]** **ACTION:** Cory to put up logistics page for f2f [recorded
>> in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/15-ssn-minutes.html#action03]
>> **[NEW]** **ACTION:** Krzysztof to organise O&M ontology meeting
>> [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/15-ssn-minutes.html#action02] 
>>
>> The XG’s Wiki page is accessible at:
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>> Please let me invite you to use this forum for discussions on the
>> development of the Semantic Markup and the Ontology*//*
>>
>>  
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Holger
>>
>>  
>>
>> *Dr. Holger Neuhaus*
>> Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
>> Tasmanian ICT Centre
>> CSIRO
>>
>> Phone: +61 3 6232 5547* | *Fax: +61 3 6232 5000
>> holger.neuhaus@csiro.au <mailto:holger.neuhaus@csiro.au> *|*
>> www.csiro.au <http://www.csiro.au> *|*
>> www.csiro.au/science/TasICTCentre.html
>> <http://www.csiro.au/science/TasICTCentre.html>
>>
>> Address: GPO Box 1538, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia
>>
>> //The Tasmanian ICT Centre is jointly funded by the Australian
>> Government through the Intelligent Island Program and CSIRO. The
>> Intelligent Island Program is administered by the Tasmanian Department
>> of Economic Development and Tourism.//
>>
>> *PLEASE NOTE*
>> The information contained in this email may be confidential or
>> privileged. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited. If you
>> have received this email in error, please delete it immediately and
>> notify the sender by return email. Thank you. To the extent permitted
>> by law, CSIRO does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the
>> integrity of this communication has been maintained or that the
>> communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.
>>
>> *Please consider the environment before printing this email.*
>>
>>  
>>
>>     
>
>
>   


-- 
Krzysztof Janowicz
Institut für Geoinformatik
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
Weseler Straße 253
D-48151 Münster
fon: 0049 - 251 - 83 39764
fax: 0049 - 251 - 83 39763
janowicz@uni-muenster.de
http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/~janowicz 

'Die Wahrheit ist das Kind der Zeit, nicht der Autorität' 
(Bertolt Brecht)
Received on Thursday, 16 July 2009 07:57:16 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 16 July 2009 07:57:17 GMT