Re: ISSUE-2 (All processes are systems): All processes are systems [sensor ontology - http://mmisw.org/orr/#http://www.w3.org/2009/SSN-XG/Ontologies/SensorBasis.owl - 09.12.15 ]

From: Manfred Hauswirth <manfred.hauswirth@deri.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:15:42 +0000
To: Luis Bermudez <bermudez@sura.org>
CC: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal@mindspring.com>, Semantic Sensor Network Incubator Group WG <public-xg-ssn@w3.org>
Hi,

Luis Bermudez wrote:

[...]

> Senors and sensor system can be model as process ( they can get some
> input and can produce some output). We are mainly interested in the
> output, this is why "process" is important

Hmm, in my domain, process is an active component, whereas what you
describe, I would describe as a data stream (processing) system.

> Sensors and platform  have components, these is why they can be model as
> systems

If you think in terms of hardware only, yes. What about the OS of a
sensor? Like TinyOS - what would that be?

> System and Process are two independent concepts. Maybe we should leave
> them that way and say sensor is subclass of both.

Agreed.

For me a sensor can be part of a process. A process can use sensors. On
the other hand a sensor can also implement a process. A system on the
other hand can consist of sensors and processes.

Am I misunderstanding "system"?

Best regards,

Manfred

--
Prof. Manfred Hauswirth
Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI)