Re: ISSUE-2 (All processes are systems): All processes are systems [sensor ontology - http://mmisw.org/orr/#http://www.w3.org/2009/SSN-XG/Ontologies/SensorBasis.owl - 09.12.15 ]

Hi,

as I may not be able to join today's call (50/50 chance - one of my kids
got sick), I am starting the discussion via mail.

Let me start with a disclaimer: I generally think it is a good idea to
stay in sync with existing standards. But I think it may be better to
deviate if something is problematic. This is especially relevant when it
comes to modeling an ontology, which not only should provide a concise
classification system but also be a "natural way" (for lack of a better
term) of modeling a domain. I the modeling is not "natural", people will
not understand it and thus not use it.

Regarding "all systems are processes": Honestly, I would not understand
this (I stated this at the F2F). For me, you have systems which include
one ore more processes. If systems are processes, why have systems at
all. My notion of systems would informally consist of processes,
scenarios, deployments, etc.

PhysicalSystem: I don't remember the exact reason for this. Did we mean
deployment?

Sensor as subclass of Device: I think this is too narrow. I can think of
sensors which are not devices at all, e.g., human "sensors" in the
context of social sensing (which is an accepted concept in many domains
including CS by now). Making sensors a subclass of device limits us to
purely technical systems in hardware, IMHO. Is an RSS feed a device? I
can clearly use it as a sensor. I think that Device should be a subclass
of Sensor. Even in existing middelware systems like our GSN we followed
that path (without having an ontology in mind at all).

Why is a Device a subclass of a Process? A Process can use Sensors which
are manifested as Devices to do/measure something, IMHO. Again this is a
quite narrow notion of the concepts.

Talk to you later (hopefully),

Manfred

--
Prof. Manfred Hauswirth
Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI)