Re: purpose/goals for observations ontologies

From: John Graybeal <graybeal@mbari.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:54:54 -0600
Cc: <Laurent.Lefort@csiro.au>, <public-xg-ssn@w3.org>
To: Simon Cox <simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu>
I believe I have seen in many places that if you want your ontology to
be re-used, it is best that it be "modular", which I understood to
mean self-contained.  If it has many references to the rest of the
web, then its complexity is higher, and its likely usability becomes
lower (because somewhere in those references will be a statement that
conflicts with statements in the user's world -- whether or not they
"need" to use those statements).

If my (admittedly naive) understanding is correct, this is essentially
a case of conflicting design architectures -- one has lots of little
atomic plug-in pieces, and another has deep and rich connections to
components with sophisticated capabilities or relationships. Both have
value, but for most applied uses I would suspect the former
architecture is easier to reuse.

I welcome enlightenment.

John

On Aug 10, 2009, at 5:54 AM, Simon Cox wrote:

> What I find curious about this discussion, in the context of the
> 'semantic
> web', is that O&M and HollowWorld are quite honest about the
> dependencies on
> external resources.
> Inevitably, this can lead to a rather large graph, if you chase them
> all
> down.
> But the point of the 'web' is deferred resolution of references, so
> you only
> need look at a sub-graph at any one time, with interface classes/
> resources
> represented as URIs.
>
> OTOH many of the ontologies I see coming out of the semantic web
> community
> have 'self-contained' as part of their design criteria.
> This seems to miss out on the 'web' part of 'semantic web'.

NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
John Graybeal   <mailto:jbgraybeal@mindspring.com>
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org