From: public-xg-ssn-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-ssn-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Kevin R. Page
Sent: Thursday, 16 April 2009 8:33 AM
To: public-xg-ssn@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Timings for regular meetings

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 13:20 -0700, John Graybeal wrote:
> As I'm Western US, moving the second one to the 0800 - 1000 time slot
> would be most helpful (means I only have to get up at 5 AM, not 3
> AM).  I realize that may disadvantage Western Australia (what? no
> Eastern Australia?), so I'll take what comes.

Yes, apologies, I'd missed off Western US too. The
participants/affiliation list doesn't make it particularly obvious which
timezone people are in.

Applying the (somewhat arbitrary) "least unreasonable" hours of 06:00 -
24:00, this leaves us with two small possible periods (below). If we
alternated between them the pain would be shared relatively evenly,
apart from Australia getting both an early and a late.

My instinct would be to alternate between 21:00 and 13:00 UTC slots to
make it mildly less painful for Australia while keeping within the
periods, though personally I think this should be decided by those worst
affected - i.e. participants in Australia. They may prefer always early,
or always late.

Or, entirely reasonably, that alternate weeks should be office hours for
Australia. At this juncture it's always going to be ~3am for someone, so
we probably want to abandon the periods proposed below and select a
different set of "best" periods based on rotating and minimising who
it's ~3am for. I'd imagine a 3-way rotation would work best.

>From email headers it looks like all our Australian colleagues are in
the Western Australian timezone. If we do have participants in Eastern
Australia (2 hours earlier) period (a) won't be feasible within the
"least unreasonable" constraints.

In ~6 months when the Northern Hemisphere leaves daylight savings time
and the Southern Hemisphere starts DST, period (a) will become better
(less early for Australia, less late for Europe), and period (b) worse!

Any other timezones I've missed? ;)

Period (a)
UTC 20:00 - 21:00
= 06:00 - 07:00 +1 day, Western Australia
= 23:00 - 24:00, Eastern Europe
= 22:00 - 23:00, Central Europe
= 21:00 - 22:00, UK and Ireland
= 16:00 - 17:00, Eastern US
= 13:00 - 14:00, Western US

Period (b)
UTC 13:00 - 14:00
= 23:00 - 24:00, Western Australia
= 16:00 - 17:00, Eastern Europe
= 15:00 - 16:00, Central Europe
= 14:00 - 15:00, UK and Ireland
= 09:00 - 10:00, Eastern US
= 06:00 - 07:00, Western US

cheers,

Kevin.

> On Apr 15, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Kevin R. Page wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 21:34 +0300, hornsby wrote:
> >> just a quick addition, Finland is period (a) EET = 23:00 - 01:00
> >> that's indeed pushing the "reasonable" boundaries :)
> >
> > Sorry Adrian, I overlooked EET!
> >
> > I tried to apply "least unreasonable" local hours of 06:00-24:00 to
> > each
> > timezone. Had I included EET the periods should have been:
> >
> > Period (a)
> > UTC 20:00 - 21:00
> > = 06:00 - 07:00 +1 day, Western Australia
> > = 23:00 - 24:00, Eastern Europe
> > = 22:00 - 23:00, Central Europe
> > = 21:00 - 22:00, UK and Ireland
> > = 16:00 - 17:00, Eastern US
> >
> > Period (b)
> > UTC 10:00 - 14:00
> > = 20:00 - 24:00, Western Australia
> > = 13:00 - 17:00, Eastern Europe
> > = 12:00 - 16:00, Central Europe
> > = 11:00 - 15:00, UK and Ireland
> > = 06:00 - 10:00, Eastern US
> >
> > Which unfortunately is a shift for the worse in Australia.
> >
> > Other than this amendment the proposal stands.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > P.S. Of course I say this sitting in the UK, where we have an unfair
> > historical advantage meaning we're rarely at the extremes of any
> > timezone clash... sorry...

Regards,

kev