Re: Social Web XG Extra Meeting Wed. Oct 6th (12:00 Boston/16:00 London) - Wrapping up Final Report Take 2

On Oct 7, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:

> We can just ditch this "profile provider" term then as it seems
> redundant. But we want to remain studiously neutral to data formats
> for attributes :)
>
> "Identity providers make claims (at least one) by providing attributes
> and so also function as providers of profile attributes, and may or
> may not authenticate the identity of a user.

Well yes. The whole purpose of an identity provider is to provide "identity"--and in this specific, narrow context the term "identity" means nothing more nor less than "a set of attributes" (often called claims) about some digital subject.