Re: Social Web XG Extra Meeting Wed. Oct 6th (12:00 Boston/16:00 London) - Wrapping up Final Report Take 2

On Oct 7, 2010, at 8:29 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:

<snip>

> We call "identity selector" -> "profile provider", which is where we
> put attribute (claims). So we can phrase it more strongly:
>
> "Many technologies like Infocards and OpenID (particularly with
> Attribute Exchange) make claims by providing attributes  and so are
> profile providers,

correct

> and this may be bound with particular identity
> providers.

awkward, but okay.

> Often these technologies are called "identity selectors"

Huh? Simply not true. We do NOT call these technologies "identity selectors".

> as
> they select amongst possible multiple profiles, each of which could
> correspond to a personae.

An identity selector is a layer above the IdPs. An identity selector is something that lets you choose pick which sets of claims from which IdPs.

[An aside: there are three kinds of selector architectures BTW: client-side (a la CardSpace), RP-side (a la Janrain) and cloud-based (Kantara Identity Selector Agent, Avoco Cloud Selector, Higgins Cloud Selector).]

> Attributes can be very simple identifiers,
> like an OpenID URL, while they could also make a claim without
> revealing an identifier."

Yes, or a persistent Rp-specific pseudonym can be computed and provided (a la IMI "PPID" private personal id)