Re: Social Web XG Extra Meeting Wed. Oct 6th (12:00 Boston/16:00 London) - Wrapping up Final Report Take 2

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Mischa Tuffield
<mischa.tuffield@garlik.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> <snip/>
> On 6 Oct 2010, at 17:12, Paul Trevithick wrote:
>
> Harry,
> I just noticed something at the 11th hour:
> In this para:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/FinalReport#Identity
> There is this sentence:
>
> A identity provider (also called identity selectors) is a social platform
> that manages and accesses identities over multiple other social platforms
> and applications.
>
> The sentence has the effect of assigning the term "identity provider" a
> meaning that conflicts BOTH with how that term is widely used within the
> identity/security community AND with how the term is used in the rest of the
> report.
> In the identity/security community an identity provider is simply a single
> service that provides a set of claims/attributes (possibly including an
> identifier claim). For example, an OpenID "OP" would be considered an IdP.
> The meaning assigned in the sentence above moves far beyond the traditional
> definition of IdP to make it something that spans multiple platforms and
> apps.
> As a consequence, anyone familiar with the identity provider term will find
> the above sentence off-putting, and disorienting.
> SUGGESTION
> In order to minimize any other changes to the report, replace the above
> sentence with:
>
> A identity provider is a service (e.g. an OpenID identity provider) that
> provides a set of attributes about a person, often including an identifier
> attribute (e.g. the OpenID identifier itself).
>
> FWIW, I am happy to make this change when I go through and perform my
> current edits, if no-one objects I will make the change which Paul has
> suggested, and will try and make the language consistent throughout the rest
> of the document.

Ah, missed that as well - I think that was from Christine's original
text. Sounds good to me, but just to be clear, as we focus on
authentication and try to keep that separate from attributes, could we
simplify and say:

 A identity provider is a service (e.g. an OpenID identity provider)
that authenticates a person and provides a set of attributes about a
person to a third-party.

Note that add of *authenticates* and being explicit about a
third-party. That OK?