Re: Facebook's Open Graph Protocol

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 19:51:40 +0200
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Cc: public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
2010/4/26 Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>

> I'm hoping some of you have seen this already, which is Facebook's
> deployment of RDFa, the Open Graph Protocol [1]
>
> Any opinions? I'll be seeing David Recordon shortly at WWW2010, and am
> thinking a telecon on this could be useful if people find it neat.

One thing to note was that myspace actually deployed RDFa to their pages
over a year before facebook.

However, it was a weaker publishing pattern, with little marketing, and few
or no partners announced.

I think had they pushed this pattern forward, they were in a prime position
to 'out open' facebook, which possibly may have been a springboard to
greater.

I think presently they are viewed by most as a declining force.

I'm speculating here, but perhaps this shows the importance of leadership
and a well put together 'open' strategy in the social web space?