Re: Design rationale behind the current schema for Facebook Open Graph Protocol

From: Peter Mika <pmika@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 17:58:58 -0400
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
CC: Fabien Gandon <Fabien.Gandon@sophia.inria.fr>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, David Recordon <recordond@gmail.com>, "public-xg-socialweb@w3.org" <public-xg-socialweb@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Marie-Claire Forgue <mcf@w3.org>, Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>, "jacobi@csail.mit.edu" <jacobi@csail.mit.edu>, Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>

> I might be a minority on this point (wasn't at WWW2010) but I still
> would like to explore further the use of a more thing-centric RDF
> representation, ie. with subject of statements not being the page. Not
> every site will want this, but others (eg. RottenTomatoes, BestBuy,
> Drupal, ...) are already exploring more extensive use of RDFa and may
> prefer a cleaner model. It should be possible to support (and
> validate, and consume, ...)  both idioms and to leave some
> level-of-detail questions to the market / publishers / grassroots /
> pick-your-metaphor...

+1

Even using the value of og:url would be better than using the URL of the
page, because at least it's a canonical URL.

Cheers,
Peter