Re: size and network value

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a thought following todays talk.
>
> Why not get some networg graph experts to help us work out what the value of a global
> social web would be? There is a lot of research in the field of network theory, and there
> may be some interesting insights to be had from those areas.

I agree - you think there would be someone who can judge information
"liquidity" as Tim Anglade put it and imagine some bright economicst
could figure it out.

Of course, this would have to be balanced by privacy concerns, and one
can imagine genuine privacy on the Social Web would reduce information
liquidity...but in other regards, a decentralized network that let
people chose to open their data would rapidly increase information
liquidity of certain kinds.

There has been some economic work in the area - Yochai Benkler comes
to mind - but to my knowledge, nothing addressing distributed social
networks per se.