Salmon Protocol (Structuring Comments and Updates in a distributed fashion) this week

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:16:30 +0000
To: public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
Everyone,

  This week Jeff Panzer (Google) will be explaining the Salmon
Protocol to us. I'd recommend we all take a look at it [1]. It's based
on Atom, and is similar to pingback but with authentication. It
therefore allows the various fragmentary conversations on the Web -
such as comments on photos, user-status updates, etc. - to be tracked
and unfied. It's definitely got a buzz going on around it right now,
so it's worth our time to investigate.  This would seem to satisfy a
few of our use-cases. Are people aware of similar technologies, or
have any opinion/questions on this one? It seems again - the tricky
bit is in the authentication of identity and spam-prevention.

And I assume "salmon" as in conversations going "upstream" :)

           cheers,
                     harry

[1] http://www.salmon-protocol.org/