Re: High-level social web guiding principles to SWxG

Hi everyone,

This seems similar to the media 2.0 best practices

http://m2bp.pbworks.com/

I would debate a few of the points below as
not necessarily relevant/enforceable - see below

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:

> [forwarding to Chris Saad, there seems a big overlap with
> DataPortability in these principles, I'd like to hear his take]
>
> 2010/1/14 "Döhler, Anita, VF-Group" <Anita.Doehler@vodafone.com>:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We think a definition of high level principles which constitute the
> Social Web would be useful in the context of defining the framework for the
> Social Web and its concepts.
> >
> > Attached/below a proposal of so far 5 principles for dicsussion on the
> mailing list and/or at the next SWxG telcon.
> >
> > High level principles
> >
> > 1.      What you see depends on who you are.

Why? Maybe the site is designed to have a water cooler style 'what's
popular' approach (like most sites today) - why mandate a personalized
experience?

> > 2.      Once defined, you can use your connections and relationships,
> across different Social Networks or Social Applications.

Sure

> > 3.      You can expose your content (User Generated Content) to different
> Social Networks or Social Applications, without the need to store the
> content in these networks/applications.

Why dictate the storage (or lack thereof). Some apps may need to store local
copies to function (like an image editor app running on top of the facebook
or flickr photo store).

The key is being able to share your images with the app (if they store it or
not is irrelevant) and choose to DELETE your account at any time. Both
should be available to the user.

> > 4.      You can define the access control on a per item basis, either per
> contact, or per group.

Maybe, but this is less about rights and more about value prop of the app -
what if the app is about sharing everything to everyone, why mandate that
they provide access controls to content. It's up to the user to choose an
app that behaves how they want it to.

> > 5.      You can communicate with connections no matter which Social
> Network or Social Application you share.

Communication is different to access to your personal data, in my mind.
Again it is a proprietary value prop that an app may choose to provide, or
not. The point with DP, though, is that I can move my personal data to a
better communication app if I choose.

There is some gray area here but generally I think this often confuses the
issue rather than clarifies it.