Re: Call for Toics and Invited Talks for 2010!

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:40:41 +0000
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Cc: public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 13:12 +0000, Harry Halpin wrote:
> 7) OpenMicroblogging and Twitter - We can invite someone from Twitter
> and really sit down and compare OMB to Twitter's APIs.

This is comparing apples with oranged. The OpenMicroblogging protocol
and Twitter API serve two different uses: OMB deals with
server-to-server propagation of messages and profile updates; the
Twitter API is for client-to-server communication (e.g. allowing desktop
microblogging clients to push messages to a user's notice stream).

StatusNet, which is the highest profile implementation of OMB, also
implements a Twitter-compatible API (a large overlap with Twitter's API,
but some minor differences to account for slightly different
functionality of the platforms) for client-to-server communication.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>