Re: Google Turns on WebFinger

Hi,

Right, Melvin. It's an important step in making accessible structured people data (besides the static ppl data via dbPedia) and thus, contributing to the web of data as Michael states. I am curious to see the first apps utilizing this knowledge. This is awesome for now.
The next steps are to
a) extend the content to contain more data related the the owner (wrapped in plastic, err, open standards).
b) empower the owners of these profiles to control the access to their personal information (= privacy).

Greets,
Alex

On 12.02.2010, at 19:06, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> It's a big step forward, imho.  Some more commentary on this:
>
> http://webofdata.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/google-lod-cloud-contributor/
>
> On 11 February 2010 23:32, Alexander Korth <alex@ttbc.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> you may have noticed that Google turned on WebFinger for its accounts with public profiles [1,2]. Although I am a fan of URLs rather than Emails, this is another step towards an open, distributed and social web through the adoption of an open standard by an important identity provider. I am happy to see that recruited open web evangelists like Fitzpatrick, Messina and Smarr still are able to fight for the right things.
>
> [1] http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_enables_webfinger_for_google_profiles_email_as_identity.php
> [2] https://groups.google.com/group/webfinger/browse_thread/thread/fb56537a0ed36964
>
> Greets,
> Alex