Google Turns on WebFinger

From: Alexander Korth <alex@ttbc.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:32:23 +0100
To: public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
Hi all,

you may have noticed that Google turned on WebFinger for its accounts with public profiles [1,2]. Although I am a fan of URLs rather than Emails, this is another step towards an open, distributed and social web through the adoption of an open standard by an important identity provider. I am happy to see that recruited open web evangelists like Fitzpatrick, Messina and Smarr still are able to fight for the right things.

[1] http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_enables_webfinger_for_google_profiles_email_as_identity.php
[2] https://groups.google.com/group/webfinger/browse_thread/thread/fb56537a0ed36964

Greets,
Alex