Re: Representing vCard Objects in RDF (W3C Member Submission)

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Brian Peterson
<publicayers@verizon.net> wrote:
> I like the updates, but I always wondered why vCard doesn't include a
> relation that maps a person/org to their vcards. Or does it and I just don't
> see it?
>
> I guess I also don't understand the approach outlined in the comments for
> VCard saying that the VCard URI could also be a URI for a person or
> organization. What's the point of having the VCard class if anything can
> have the dual role of being a vcard? I'd have thought that keeping people
> separate from vcards but providing a way of associating a person's vcards to
> themselves would result in cleaner ontologies.

Well, there's a difference between "clean" ontologies and what people
actually do. Peter Mika from Yahoo! could step in with actual data,
but it appears most people apply hcards and vcard properties to people
or organizations directly, without an intervening (and often blank
node) for the "card" itself.

If someone wants to make a distinction that this particular URI is
actually a "card" or a "person" they can state that using FOAF.

Also, it's much easier to query without tooooo many layers of indirection.