dates and times -- the Real Deal!

All --

On Apr 7, 2010, at 09:27 AM, Peter Ferne wrote:
>> Note we had a bit of a mess last time about the conference call time,
>> note that we are 16:00 GMT (London) and 11:00 EST (Boston). See this
>> time and date:
>>
>> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=04&day=07&year=2010&hour=15&min=00sec=0&p1=0
>

> N.B. GMT = UTC. The link encodes to 15:00 UTC *not* 16:00 UTC. Which is the correct time?
>
> Also the time displayed at that URL varies when I look at it, although only the seconds, and it doesn't automatically take account of daylight saving time, which this one does:
>
>   http://permatime.com/UTC/2010-04-07/16:00
>
> or, if you prefer:
>
>    http://permatime.com/EST/2010-04-07/11:00

Our meeting times are pegged to Boston-Local time, as that is what
Zakim and the other IRC bots are tied to.  Therefor, EST is not an
appropriate label to use as that goes out-of-sync when Daylight
Savings switches in and out.

The *best* link to use appears to be --

   http://permatime.com/US/Eastern/2010-04-07/11:00

-- which reveals the following matches for today's session --

   http://permatime.com/GMT/2010-04-07/15:00
   http://permatime.com/UTC/2010-04-07/15:00
   http://permatime.com/Europe/London/2010-04-07/16:00

Note that you can easily add your own timezone to the output results,
and I strongly encourage you to add your "local time" rather than
any "Standard" or "Summer" or "Daylight" abbreviated zone!

> which displays just the same, i.e. 5pm UK time (BST).

Interestingly, permatime.com does not recognize BST...

Be seeing (hearing) you,

Ted