Re: Some links on XMPP for Peter St. Andre's talk tomorrow

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
>   I imagine many of you are familiar with XMPP, but just in case you
> aren't, it's an open XML-based protocol that runs on top of TCP (and
> can use HTTP bindings) for decentralized presence and messaging.
>
> The specifications (currently being updated) are here [1] and
> additional add-ons are here at the XMPP foundation [2].
>
>  I use it nearly everyday in my instant messenger client Pidgin and it
> also runs Google Talk. If you haven't gotten a Jabber ID, I'd
> recommend getting one and using it.
>
> Lots of great potential conversations around Jabber IDs in general,
> OpenID, certificates (which XMPP) supports, security (see
> Off-the-Record [3]), and its use in federating social networks, i.e.
> Google Wave [4], and older but still interesting work combining OAuth
> with XMPP [5] in Fireeagle.
>
> Note that XMPP is not a W3C specification, but an IETF specification
> done by the non-profit XMPP (formerly Jabber) foundation [2].

Prepared Question:

It seems to me that that XMPP has done for IM, much of what the SWXG
aims to look at, in the wider social web.  Could you talk about about
the challenges of going from concept to specification, any recurrent
issues, and things that helped to smooth out the process.