Re: Privacy, security and social media management

On 15 Sep 2009, at 16:08, Christine Perey wrote:

> Hi Renato,
>
> Forgive me for my ignorance. What the heck is a "distributed" profile?
> Is that the same as a "distributed" identity? I don't know what that
> is either.

I have a video presentation of what a distribute profile is. This is
what I am presenting on my world tour. See the second video

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/froscon_the_free_and_open

You will need Firefox 3.5 to watch this, as it uses html5 markup and
links to an ogg video for which neither OSX nor Opera have a viewer.

> what is the opposite of a "distributed" profile?

A centralised profile, or rather one that cannot be decentralised.

> Does one identity have many profiles?

One person can have many profiles. One WebID usually comes with one
profile, but the information in that profile can link to information
about the person distributed across the net.

> Let's take a concrete example. I am one unique person (presumably).
> I am under the impression that I have many profiles (Amazon,
> Expedia, Facebook, Alumni of a university, subscriber of Swisscom,
> customer of UBS, etc) each stored in a different "place" in
> cyberspace.  I have two drivers licenses and four nationalities,
> each with some unique piece of identification. Is that relevant?
> Certainly the US Internal Revenue Service cares.

That's ok, you can have many different profiles.

> I'm really not sure how many "identities" I have but I know I can
> put one of these legally recognized pieces of identification in my
> office, one in my home, one in the bank. Does this make them
> "distributed"?

Not really. If you could tear up your passport, and put pieces of it
on your server, others on the government web site, and yet others
somewhere else, and then link the together, you would have something
closer to a distributed profile.

> I suggest using different modifiers for profiles and identities.
>
> Just with my mobile network operator perhaps I have one customer
> identity (my mobile number?) and several profiles:
> Personal profile
> Billing profile

yes, so let's assume you are identified via the following URI http://att.com/cust/2009/1232
  . Then they could have a profile such as the following for you

@prefix : <http://att.com/cust/2009/1232#> .

:cp a foaf:Person;
     foaf:phone <tel:+41.79.436.68.69>;
     foaf:homePage <http://att.com/cust/2009/1232>;
     foaf:workplaceHomePage <http://perey.com/> .

It could also make claims of identity with another ID.

:cp owl:sameAs <http://perey.com/#me> .

Then part of your info would be on their web site, and the other on
another web site.

> What do you (we) call a community profile which does not have a
> "real name" associated with it? In many social networks people are
> discouraged from using their real (legal) names.

I don't know, is there a need for a name for that? We can easily
create them. There is no need in the semweb for a human readable name.
You can use a URI to identify the person. The URI is the name, if you
wish. In fact one does not even need URI identifier, one can use
indirect descriptions too.

> I could go on with questions in this vein but I will await
> enlightenment on the above.

hope that helps,

	Henry