Re: Social Web Charter: Scope / XMPP

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the swxg charter, under the title Scope [1]
>
> "Other technology groups we hope to engage include microblogging,
> microformats, XMPP/Jabber, dataportability.org, and privacy groups."
>
> I think there's been a great start on this front, and of course it's
> fortunate that Dan is on the board of data portability.
>
> However, it strikes me that XMPP is under represented, unless I've
> missed something.  I think XMPP has a lot to teach us as is is a
> mature community with core features close to the goals of this group.
>
> - Distributed Architecture
> - Socially oriented, ability to link relationships from one disjoint
> network to another
> - (Portable) groups and rosters
> - Existing rich clients available via web / browser addon / desktop / mobile
>
> - Operates in reatlime but also offline
> - Extensible plugin architecture
> - Structured and namespaced (XML) communication protocol
> - Security and Encryption
>
> There are few systems out there that can boast such a feature list.
>
> As such, do you think it may be an idea to engage the XSF [2], or
> anyone have a good contact there?

+1

If anyone knows how to get in touch with XMPP, and in particular how
they would like to interact or what issues they want to discuss with
the W3C, I really would like to initiate discussion.

Note that charter URI [1] is old. The current charter is here [2], but
yes, it still mentions XMPP.

[1]http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/homepage/drafts/soccharter.html
[2]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/charter