ACTION [CONTINUES] Provide some data on privacy and context (channeling Mor Naaman) to the wiki

Hello All,

Firstly, sorry for getting this sent round so late in the day :)

Following on from Christine Perey's email (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-socialweb/2009May/0051.html
)
regarding the breakdown of task forces, it seems to make sense to
combine efforts in the Privacy and Context space? As apposed to
combining context with portability, as suggested below.

Given that the context we are interested in looking at is one of a
personal nature and the idea of protecting users from abuse of their
contextual data, do people think that effort should be combined on
these two fronts?

The following excerpts have been taken from  (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-socialweb/2009May/0051.html
)

"	2. Privacy and Trust Task Force

	This task force will explore how specific approaches to ensuring user
and user data privacy and trust can
	improve the security and reduce risks of users. This task force is
also responsible for the
	development of best practices recommendations on privacy in social
networks. 		"

"	4. Contextual Data Task Force

	The mission of this task force is to document those principles which
the task force members believe to be the
	appropriate use & approaches to control of abuse of contextual data
in social networks. One of the
	deliverables of this task force is a report mapping the current uses
of context in social networking.
	A best practices guide could also be envisioned, provided that
sufficient experience and expertise is available.		"

These two seem very similar in nature, and the notion of "controlling
abuse of contextual data" does seems very geared
towards maintaining a user's privacy in a social network.

I have also put some placeholder text on the wiki in the
DiscussionTopics [1], under the title "Privacy and Context". I have
attempted to allude to the fact that there is a tension between bring
private in a social network, and that of making use of
context, I hope I have got this point across.

Am not sure if what I have put up is suitable, as I am new to these
things, but I hope it helps,

Mischa

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/DiscussionTopics

On 14 May 2009, at 17:23, Harry Halpin wrote:

> We had a number of organization suggestions last meeting, and task
> forces got wide support. In particular, the two task forces that had
> volunteer leaders (I think!) was Karl Dubost for a Privacy Task Force
> and Joaquin Salvachua for the Portability Task Force. Each should have
> a back-up, any volunteers?
>
> There was also a "context" task force that seemed popular, but no
> definite leader. Perhaps for the time being it should be merged with
> Portability?
>
> Organizationally, what we want is telecons for the task forces that
> have 10-20 people in them, thus giving people time enough to speak and
> really get work done. However, what we don't want is telecons that are
> unattended or confusing, with extra bureaucracy.
>
> Looking at telecon times from the results of our first telecon poll
> [1], it appears that the best time for the task forces to meet is
> actually *right* after the main telecon. 14:00 UTC. Thus, remembering
> we'll have guest talks biweekly, we could have the privacy task-force
> meet right after the whole group meeting, and the portability
> task-force meet right after the guest talk.
>
> I think this is the way forward, as it requires no new telecon time
> booking, and keeps the time and date of the telecons simple, but
> allows people to attend only the telecons they want and keeps group
> smaller.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/socialwebtime/results

Mischa Tuffield
Email: mischa.tuffield@garlik.com