Re: Meeting Minutes for June 24th 2009 Social Web XG Telecon

I added more links and clarified some things :)

> Invited Speaker: Kaliya Hamlin
>
>   kaliya: Hi everybody! Asks how many people here
>
>   hhalpin: About 20 people
>
>   <rreck> there are 22 people on irc
>
>   <hhalpin> Kaliya is from Internet Identity Workshop

http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com

If you are interested in seeing the a video about IIW and the core
technologies...it is a great overview from a user-perspective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY5ghFa61-w

She also took some video of different sessions you can watch.
http://digitalidcoach.com/2009/05/videos-from-iiw8/

>   kaliya: I sent you a lot of links, hope you read them, didn't send

all the links in all the articles - I can if you want them all in your
records

>   additional ones with history and context of the community

they tell some of the history and context of the community.

>   <hhalpin> Which has been a quite important community and event in
>   creating notions of digital identity, openID.
>
>   kaliya: history is that Identity Commons came together to see how
>   individuals could manage and control their own identities
>   ... so that they could own this layer of the web
>   ... Community formed in 2004/2005 was really focussed on
>   user-centric identity
>   ... Harry asked me to talk about high level strategies, key terms
>   are in the community lexicon which defines shared language (e.g. the
>   word identity)
>   ... community stopped arguing about what identity meant, and
>   focussed more on identifiers
>   ... and came to definitions of what claims where, in that they are
>   really just attributes
>   ... claims can be made by yourself for yourself or by other entities
>   (e.g. companies, non-profits) for other people
>
>   <hhalpin> seems the important concepts so far: identifier and entity
>   (anything that can make a statement about an identifier)

the place to "get" at least the original lexicon is here...
http://wiki.idcommons.net/Lexicon
these were settled long ago and amongst at least the core tech coming
out of our community the words in use mean these things.

>  kaliya: separation between authentication

presenting a token and then getting that

> and authorisation, and
>   enrollment  (how someone is given an identifier by someone) like
> getting a company ID when you become an employer.

and validation (checking someone "is" who they say they are) or claims
that are validated by some third party

>   <pchampin> entity ~ foaf:Agent? (just trying to align my own
>   vocabulary...)
>
>   <bblfish> I added the Social Web XG to
>   [27]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_web
>
>     [27] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_web
>
>   kaliya: In the same article about community, user-centric,
>   company-centric and card?-centric

You can see the evolution of thinking via these posts from Johannes.
  http://netmesh.info/jernst/Digital_Identity/three-standards.html
  http://netmesh.info/jernst/Digital_Identity/updating-three-standards.html
http://www.xmlgrrl.com/blog/archives/2007/03/28/the-venn-of-identity/
http://www.xmlgrrl.com/publications/IEEESecPriv-MarApr2008-MalerReed-Venn.pdf

I guess too - blogging is a big part of the community
our aggregate blog is http://www.planetidentity.org
if any of you have blogs on this/related subjects and want to be
aggregated there just ask Pat

>   <bblfish> also added foaf+ssl to
>   [28]http://wiki.idcommons.net/Identity_Landscape

THIS is WAY out of date and is not currently maintained.

http://www.higgins-project.org

>   <hhalpin> Venn diagram:
>   [30]http://www.xmlgrrl.com/publications/IEEESecPriv-MarApr2008-Maler
>   Reed-Venn.pd
>
>     [30] http://www.xmlgrrl.com/publications/IEEESecPriv-MarApr2008-MalerReed-Venn.pd
>
>   <hhalpin>
>   [31]http://www.xmlgrrl.com/publications/IEEESecPriv-MarApr2008-Maler
>   Reed-Venn.pdf
>
>     [31] http://www.xmlgrrl.com/publications/IEEESecPriv-MarApr2008-MalerReed-Venn.pdf
>
>   kaliya: All social networking platforms show up at their events;
>   very market driven; "what are users tell us are what we will do"
>

>   kaliya: They are working really well together to support portability
>   and open authentication

http://www.oauth.org
Helps address the password anti-pattern
that is sites asking other sites for peoples username and password to
get data on their behalf from other accounts

http://www.portablecontacts.net/
People taking their address book around easily.

Both of these are more ad-hoc driven standards that are lead by
implementors. Once written they are put into practice by the likes of
Google, MSFT, Plaxo, Yahoo! etc.

> <hhalpin> nn Diagram Identity
>
>   <hhalpin> [32]http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/
>
>     [32] http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/
>
>   kaliya: PortableContacts for standardising the info people have in
>   their networks
>
>   <caribou> contacts or context?
>
>   kaliya: Ready to answer questions on what they've read and what they
>   want to know about the community
>
>   hhalpin: We haven't thought about the notion of identity so far
>   ... Haven't talked about Information Cards
>   ... Will be more asking for guidance about the identity landscape
>   ... User versus card versus organisation
>
>   kaliya: that is an old model, but now we have gotten to the Venn of
>   identity
>   ... evolution of our thinking is to help SWXG get to where they have
>   gotten to, or at least to see how to get there
>
>   hhalpin: Through the link out on IRC to the paper Harry has read and
>   suggests other in SWXG do too
>   ... A lot of backgrounds in this group are from portability from
>   Semantic Web and also mobile phones + social networking
>
>   bblfish: Henry in a cafe
>   ... added to the identity landscape wiki about foaf+ssl work
>   ... using URIs for identity
>   ... interesting to hear how that work can integrate more into the
>   identity commons
>
>   kaliya: has heard about foaf - wants to bring more info about it to
>   the Identity Commons community
>
>   bblfish: Is it enough to add to the wiki?
>
>   kaliya: Join the community list, 500-600 people, was the mailing
>   list that got the community started

http://lists.idcommons.net/lists

community list
stewards list is also open about governing the community.

>   <hhalpin> Do we have anyone on that identity commons mailing-list?
>
>   kaliya: Say hey do you know about this, we're working on it, and get
>   people to interact with you
>
>   bblfish: Will try that
>
>   <hhalpin> Perhaps we should get a liason?
>
>   kaliya: More formal process
>
>   hhalpin: Asks what this process is
>
>   kaliya: Unique organisation as described in charter
>   (non-proscriptive), have a monthly call

http://wiki.idcommons.net/Working_Groups
you can click on some of the charters to see them.

>   hhalpin: Might discuss if we should have someone join from SWXG
>
>   caribou: Do you have links to the ISO work on identity management
>
>   kaliya: Haven't to her knowledge
>
>   <hajons> +q
>
>   hhalpin: Any more questions?
>
>   <caribou> ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 WG5 working on an Identity Management
>   framework
>
>   <hhalpin> caribou - should we ask ISO to present on what they are up
>   to?
>
>   hajons: In telecommunications, have IMF - identity management -
>   connect telecommunications network through the internet - has there
>   been participation from IMS vendors etc.
>
>   kaliya: Has been participation from European telecommunications
>   vendors
>   ... Our community is mainly made up of web portal folks and large
>   enterprises
>   ... Y!, Google, MySpace, Facebook, Plaxo, etc.
>
>   <renato> notes that W3C PLING has a liaison under way with ISO/IEC
>   JTC 1/SC 27 WG5
>
>   hhalpin: One thing we're trying to do is something similar to IC -
>   you pointed out abstract functionality, separations that came out of
>   IC - authentication, authorisation, validation - where is this
>   written up?
>
>   kaliya: Article about cultivating community and shared language
>   links to the lexicon; one of the first things they did
>
>   hhalpin: Seems that what has happened in Internet Identity workshops
>   is that you have technology that is filling these functionalities;
>   in W3C groups, we are not sure how they all fit together
>   ... need details of how technology X with functionality Y and are
>   thinking of a matrix that could be used in our final report to W3C
>
>   <hhalpin> identifier: OpenID - an anchor
>
>   kaliya: What are we managing? Step back and ask why are we managing
>   for people. e.g. identifiers, openid gives people an anchor on the
>   web
>
>   <hhalpin> via their own domain name or an identity provider
>

>   kaliya: either as their own domain name or a facebook url
>   ... another key thing that came out of the community was discovery

XRD work

http://wiki2008.openid.net/XRD_Discovery_For_HTTP_and_HTTPS_URLs
http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2009/03/xrdbased-oauth-discovery-sneakpeek.html
(oh yeah -you should talk to Eran too)

>   ... how do you find out what came out of the endpoint?
>   ... Does it point to where my photos, IMs, etc. are?
>   ... Kind of spun out into it's own spec and part of XRI tech
>   committee at OASIS
>   ... How can people link their different accounts together without
>   giving away their passwords
>
>   <hhalpin> kaliya: XRD = discovery, what does an endpoint do, take a
>   phone call, etc.
>
>   kaliya: Data portability / user control ideas
>   ... Hand me a card that allows some claims to be made
>   ... Different from the physical version
>   ... In real world, they don't take a photocopy of your driver's
>   license
>   ... In digital world, just want to share some info
>   ... It's enough to know age, not eye colour - selective disclosure
>   ... MS bough Qidentica who does this selective disclosure

credentica
http://www.credentica.com/u-prove_sdk.html

Stefan now works for MSFT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Brands

>   ... Another wing of community is focussed on how individuals could
>   have tools that help them manage relationships with companies they
>   do business with (productCRM)

>   <mattroweshow> [33]http://projectvrm.net/
>
>     [33] http://projectvrm.net/
>
>   kaliya: Midack? in the UK and lots of activity in London around VRM
>   hub
>   ... Identities never happen in isolation - in context of a group or
>   entity or other individuals

www.projectvrm.org

in London - http://vrmhub.pbworks.com/

Company implementing this
http://mydex.org/

also doing a volunteered personal information sig at what was Liberty
Alliance and just recently rebranded/organized as Kantara Intiative
http://wiki.projectliberty.org/index.php/Liberty_Volunteered_Personal_Information_SIG_Charter

He has a taxonomy/ontology of 3500 (maybe there is another zero in
that) attributes about a person.  Really amazing vocabularly and map
and he wants to open it up and standardize it.

> [...]
>
>   hhalpin: Great pointers and info
>   ... after telecon we will go through these notes and try to extract
>   general points
>   ... Idea of invited speakers makes more and more cross-community
>   conversations
>   ... Internet Identity Workshop is happening in November in
>   California at around the same time as the W3C meeting
>   ... Asks Kaliya for format of the IIW
>
>   <hajons> +1 IIW
>
>   <bblfish> sounds good.
>
>   hhalpin: and asks if anyone is planning to go
>
>   <jsalvachua> +1
>
>   <DKA> +0.5
>
>   [35]http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/
>
>     [35] http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/
>
>   kaliya: Twice a year
>   ... Same place
>   ... Where all the big Social Web companies are
>   ... in Silicon valley
>   ... Don't have an agenda ahead of time, bring communities together
>   ... In the morning after an intro section, community makes the
>   agenda
>
>   <bblfish> I think I went there a year ago
>
>   kaliya: Different technical activities are happening and they want
>   to cover it F2F during the meeting
>   ... So unlike conferences where real work happens in the hallways
>   ... Super productive!
>   ... Also reduces a lot of the politics, no committee deciding who
>   gets to speak
>   ... November 3-5 [36]http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/
>
>     [36] http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/
>
>   <hhalpin> Nov 3-5th.
>
>   kaliya: have discussed having it all week with different industry
>   areas - not fully decided
>
>   <bblfish> Oh yes, I did go there last year
>   [37]http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/3_weeks_of_conferences_and
>
>     [37] http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/3_weeks_of_conferences_and
>
>   TPAC = [38]http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/Overview.html
>
>     [38] http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/Overview.html
>
>   hhalpin: Asks it it's okay to come for 1-2 days
>
>   kaliya: Yes
>
>   hhalpin: Will have a few people there financial cuts permitting
>   ... What would you see is the best way for us to continue future
>   interactions apart from joining mailing list
>   ... Who would Kaliya suggest we talk to next - e.g. Higgins project
>   ... What could W3C do? Report about Social Web in general, but a lot
>   of work is happening not with W3C partially because of structural
>   issues with W3C - IRC is viewed as a pain, membership fees are
>   really high
>
>   kaliya: Sense in Silicon valley that market adoption is what a
>   standard is, so don't care as much about standards organisations
>   ... Community around Open Web Foundation interesting (Messina,
>   Smarr); community around OpenSocial is interesting (KevinMarks et
>   al.)
>   ... Chris Messina is working on distributed social networking (DiSo)
>   ... Mentions some names from Higgins Project, missed who as audio

Mary Ruddy and Paul Trevithick