Re: Towards a Context TF Charter (was Re: Context in the XG?)

Hi Phil and all,

The idea of having a TF focused on a small-scale goal sounds great. I'm
working on a vocabulary of Online Presence and would like to contribute to
this work as much as time permits me. For a start I would have some comments
on the Charter text:

The Context Task Force is concerned with identifying and codifying the
> factors that are likely to affect which identity is active at any given time
> such that a user can easily switch between profiles.

This is very important. However, my perspective on this is slightly
different. I don't see a user as a profile-switching thing that can easily
draw a line between his different profiles (I find it difficult even to
define those different profiles). Let's imagine that I am in some kind of a
business mode (where business identity is active), I'm on work, on my chat
client I am available only for the people I work with, etc... Yet, it's
Friday, I'm dreaming of fun, so I want to broadcast a status message to my
personal friends to invite them on a beer. Should I then pass to some kind
of leisure mode to post this message? But then if in leisure mode I am
normally available for my personal friends, their chat messages could
distract me, and I don't want that.

So my concern is about the use of words ''active identity'' and ''switch
between profiles'', since I think that users are who they are, they do what
they do. Different identities arise in perception by others. Therefore I
prefer to say that different presence/identity data have their particular
audience for which they are intended to, rather than say that the user has
an active profile/identity.

I'm not sure how clear this is, so maybe my blog post about faceted online
presence [1] could help clarify it further.

Regarding the factors that affect the intended audience of presence data (or
the active profile if we call it that way), I have done a user study about
the intended audiences of status messages, and I believe it might be
valuable for this work (unfortunately it is not published anywhere yet, so
I'll make it available to you as soon as it is published, or prepare a
reduced version if needed). One of my goals was to determine what context
elements influence a status message to be dedicated to personal friends or
to business contacts or whatever audience. I assumed that user's location
(whether she is at work or at home), device being used (laptop, desktop,
mobile phone) can determine who the status message is for. To my surprise,
it seamed to have very little to do with those contextual elements. Content
type (like whether there is a picture link in a status message, or a link to
a song, etc.) was much stronger influence. I'll try to extract user stories
from the studies and put them on the wiki in the following days.

[1] http://www.milanstankovic.org/blog/?p=55

Best,

Milan Stankovic

e-mail: milan@milstan.net